Ch.9 Startling the Lord of the Dead

Percy’s POV

“Perseus? But how, you died?” sputtered a shell-shocked Hades.

I smirked, “That’s the million dollar question Uncle,”

He shrank down into a more manageable form and approached me nervously, “Explain,” he demanded.

So I did.

After we managed to convince Hades through swearing on the Styx often and showing off our new powers. To say he was awed would be an understatement.

“Uncle, do you want to see my domain?” I asked while flipping my hood back on. He looked at me curiously but just nodded and followed me out the door.

We trudged across the black soil of the Underworld nearing the Styx. We followed the path of the river up until the ridge that overlooked the Heart.

That’s when Hades walked face first into a force field.

I stifled a laugh as I said, “I, Perseus, allow Lord Hades to enter the Heart of the Rivers,”

There as a flash of light and Hades walked through, grumbling about ancient laws and powerful nephews.

He didn’t see it but both Zoe and I grinned.

As soon as we crested the hill, Hades’ jaw dropped, which was amusing to see on the normally stoic god.

“Welcome Lord Hades, to the Heart of the Rivers!” I say throwing my arms out to the side as my outfit changed to formal Greek attire.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

We stood at pier of Charon’s ferry, Hades and my mothers were there to send us off.

Hades flipped a drachma into the river and soon we could see the lantern on the ferry.

I turned to my mothers and gave each of them a hug and a kiss on the cheek. They smiled sadly and gave some last minute tips except for Cocytus who was bawling her eyes out.

Hades clapped his hand on my back and disappeared in a swirl of shadows

Charon brought his ferry to the dock and stepped off. “Hello sisters,” he said in a happy voice, “It has been too long,”

“It has,” Styx replied, “I would like for you to meet our son.”

“Son? I thought you were forbidden to have children?” he asked curiously. “Actually,” jumped in Phlegethon, “He is a child of all of us and allowed us to be together again,” His eyes shifted to me and he took a step towards me, “What is your name nephew?”

“Really Charon? You can’t recognize me, I’m hurt,” I say mock indignantly as I throw back my hood.

His face was priceless.

“We can explain on the trip, let’s get ready first,” interceded Zoe. Charon turned back and held the ferry ready as Zoe started to place our bags aboard. As I took a step forwards, someone grabbed my arm. It was Lethe.

“Please be safe son,” she whispered, I nodded.

“And if you want to conceal your identity, I suggest creating a pseudonym,”

She saw my confused face and explained, “Like how Chiron was Mr. Brunner, chose a different name to go by,”

“I will, love you mom,”

And I turned away and stepped aboard, watching as their fading figures disappeared into the mist.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

“Are you ready?” I asked Zoe.

She took a deep breath and let it out slowly, “As ready as I will ever be,” she admitted.

I took a step forward and the earth opened in front of us, showing our first glimpse of the real world in years.

It was beautiful, the stars were out and a cool nighttime breeze blew past us.

“After you my Lady,” I said mockingly. She smacked my arm and ran out into the wilderness without a care in the world.

I followed her.

Because I didn’t know how long we could afford to be careless.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Hey Pixels! Sorry for the short chapter, busy with other stories.

First things first, this is dedicated to my partner in crime, Fairytailfanforlife, we have created a joint account together and posted our first PJ book there. It’s called Lord of the Eclipse and is co-written by both of us. Check out the account and book at @ChaoticOrder

Shout out to FourTrisTheFortress for giving me a burned cookie! And also to dino6060 for really really really really really really really really really really really really really really really really really really really really really really really really really really liking this story:P

Catch ya on the flip side Pixels!

-PixelUp