✈ xxv.

[ LOCAL TIME 12:02 ]

"Tell me something"

The bookstore nestled in the corner of the busy downtown street felt like some sort of a safe haven from the rest of the world. In a way, it felt like a forcefield - like time couldn't pass within it's boundaries. The wet snow that assaulted the streets from above couldn't enter my space. The people rushing by couldn't begin to bother me. It was like being in a bubble, and maybe that's what trust is if you fill it with the right people.

Looking up from the corner of the magazine I was glancing over, my eyes meet Nathan's, which somehow pull me into a trance every time I get caught in them.

"What?" I reply softly, placing the magazine on the metal shelf behind me.

"Why were you so hesitant to come to Boston?" Nathan starts, hesitation in his voice as if he wasn't sure about the answer. "You know, yesterday after we got out of the elevator."

It takes me a minute to even remember that long ago, even though it was just this time yesterday. Part of me wants to tell him the truth, but the larger part of my reasoning tells me that's far from a good idea.

"I think I'm in love with you," I start, feeling my heart quicken because I literally just threw it off the bus. "-I don't mean that in a completely romantic way, but that kind of love you have for someone you feel close to. Maybe it's not love. Maybe it's trust or something, but whatever it is I thought it was crazy and I didn't want to become attached because at the end of today, you're just going to be another memory. I assumed that leaving and coming to Boston with you would make me grow more attached to the person I literally despised when that elevator shut down, and I wasn't wrong."

"But what made you not want to go? What made you so hesitant that you didn't want to see where it went?"

"Because I didn't want to lose that spark and watch everything turn to ash before my very eyes. Sometimes you have to leave the fire alone so it can grow and burn down the whole damn forest."

When I finally look up, embarrassed that I spewed all of my feelings on him, Nathan grabs my hands from across the table and holds them in his. His thumbs rub soft circles against the bare skin of my cold hands, which somehow make me feel safe and relieved, knowing that nothing he could say next would tear my world apart.

"I think that forest is on fire, and it's not my job to put it out," He replies.

[- -]

Hello! :) I feel like I kinda owe everyone a little explanation to where I've been for the past month. I've taken a lot of mental health days and I'm trying to push through without mediation or assistance - it's been going so far, but we'll see. I also just finished moving into my new apartment and my fall classes start Monday.

Oh, and I can see an ending coming soon for this story :)

You can continue to follow me on Instagram - @chasing_embers (just remember that it's my personal account, so please no comments like "update please" and stuff like that).