chapter iv.

THERE WAS a soft knock on my door, telling me it wasn't Negan.

"Come in," I said, sitting up on my bed as a girl, no older than me, walked in, wearing a tight, black dress that reached her knees. "Who are you?"

She sat next to me on my bed, tucking her short, brown hair behind her ear and looking up at me.

"I saw you and Negan, in the cafeteria. I just, I want you to know that soon enough, he's going to get what he wants. And that's you as one of his wives." She told me, taking my hand and playing with her thumbs as she spoke.

"No, I'm not going to become one of his wives," I yelled. "I'm not going to subject myself as his property just because he wants to get laid. He's bargaining the lives of those women by offering them safety. I'm not going to make myself any lesser to him than I already am." I told her, standing up and pacing as I went off.

I glared back at her and her expression was sad. She looked like a child after their toy was taken.

"What? Did I say something wrong? Cause that's the damn truth."

She shook her head, letting it fall into her hands as she sobbed. I didn't know what to do, I was never good at comforting people in bad times and I could guarantee I wasn't any better now.

I stood in front of her, awkwardly waiting for her to say something more, but she only continued to cry. I moved to sit next to her and I hesitantly put my hand on her back, as this was something my parents had always done when I was upset.

"You're right," She said, lifting her hand and drying her tears. "Negan uses them when he's angry, or when he's bored. He doesn't care about any one of them, they're just pawns in his fucked up fantasy. The only thing he does and ever will care about is power and the fear he puts into those who cannot rise above him." She explained, and as she did, I realized she was one of his wives.

"You're one of them. Aren't you?" I asked, leaning away from her and removing my hand from her back.

She nodded her head and rose, her face all of a sudden dry and her demeanor sharp. She walked towards the door, her heels clicking on the hardwood floor. She reached for the door, turning to me one last time.

"You might as well give in. He always gets what he wants."

And then she left, locking me in.

~

I woke up, looking out the window and finding the sky slowly lighting up. I removed the covers, getting out of bed and feeling the cold floor under my feet.

I walked into the bathroom, looking at myself in the mirror and noticing the bags under my eyes and my drying lips. I moved away from the mirror and back into my room, getting tired of looking at myself.

While I dressed, there was a knock on the door and I heard it unlocking so I quickly ran into the bathroom, shutting the door.

"y/n?" I heard, relieved that it was Dwight and not Negan.

"Do you need something?" I asked, pulling on my jeans and trying not to fall over. I heard Dwight walk closer to the bathroom and I locked the door.