prologue

I STUMBLED out of the abandoned gas station, clutching the back of my arm as the blood ran down to my fingertips. There were a few stranglers out and I managed to keep them from noticing me until I tripped on the wheel of a shopping cart and fell.

"Fuck." I muttered, rushing to get up as they all turned towards me and limped closer. I pulled my gun out with my bad arm, as I needed to keep the blood from spilling out. I took my first shot, but only hit it in the shoulder and I cursed under my breath.

I was slowly cornered against the wall of the gas station as four or five of them surrounded me and I let out a shrill scream, expecting a big chunk of flesh to be ripped from my arm. But shots rang out and they dropped around my feet.

I closed my eyes in relief as I caught my breath and a group of four walked up to me, pulling me to my feet. "Who are you? Are you apart of a group or is it just you?" One of them asked me and I struggled to get words out.

He held a gun to my head and I held up one hand, the other I was still keeping firmly pressed to my injured arm. "I'm y/n and I'm by myself."

Another man reached over and took the weapons I had on me, showing the man with the gun to my head. He dropped the gun and holstered it before turning to the others and whispering among them.

The girl came over to me and started wrapping my arm with gauze while the man, who I presumed to be the leader, kneeled in front of me.

"I'm Rick Grimes, I'm part of a community not far from here. If you can answer a few of my questions, we can consider letting you come back with us." He told me and I nodded my head, knowing I desperately needed the shelter at the moment.

"How many walkers have you killed?"

"You mean those things?" I asked, pointing towards the rotting corpses and he nodded. "Maybe a hundred, give or take a few." I told him, wondering who really kept track of how many they've killed since the beginning.

"How many people have you killed?"

I looked up at him and he was nothing but serious. I had to answer honestly, my life was resting on it. "One." Rick looked back at the rest of the group and then back at me, his face unsure.

"Why?" I took a deep breath and held it, I couldn't cry, I had to tell them.

"He wasn't himself anymore, he lost it. He killed someone that was very important to me." I told him, looking down at my hands as I recalled the nightmare. 

"Alright, let's go." Rick said, picking up his things and leaving with his group, but not before turning to me. "You coming?" 

I climbed into the car with them, surprised that they had one running as I never thought I'd ever ride in one of these ever again. Rick pulled up to a gate that stood at least fifteen feet tall and I watched as someone pulled it open.

We exited the car and I gazed at the beautiful town, the houses were still completely intact and the people were walking along the streets, completing daily chores.

"Welcome to Alexandria."