chapter xvi.

I WOKE up in a fit of sweat, the sheets a little damp from the nightmare. I looked to my right and saw Negan was still asleep, his back facing me. I got myself out of bed, supporting my baby bump as I waddled to the bathroom.

As I went to crawl back into bed, my stomach growled and I knew I wouldn't be able to sleep unless I ate. I left our room and headed for the kitchen, the cold floor sending chills through my feet.

I reached the kitchen and went through the cabinets, looking for anything to satisfy my appetite. After a while of searching for something, I conceded and settled on a jar of pickles. I left the kitchen, making my way back to Negan and I's room as I dug into the jar.

NEGAN

I shot out of bed when I heard gunshots being fired throughout the compound. When I looked to my left and didn't see y/n, I panicked, immediately pulling on my boots and grabbing Lucille.

I burst through the door, slamming Lucille on every door I passed. "Grab your guns! We are under attack!" I ran through the halls, searching for y/n.

My men ran with me, going down different halls and spreading out, all to reach where the gunshots were coming from. I ran towards the mess hall, wondering if she could've gotten something to eat.

Before rounding the corner, I heard crying and as I made my way around, I saw y/n. She was huddled on the ground, against the wall crying with shards of glass surrounding her.

"y/n!" I called and she looked up at me, her face displaying horror.

"Negan, what's happening?" She asked, tears streaming down her face as I pulled her back to her feet and into my chest.

"Someone's breached the compound. You need to go back to our room, where you'll be safe." I told her, walking her back towards our room.

I guided her towards the bed and had her sit down before I grabbed her hands, "y/n, I need you to stay here, okay? As soon as I leave, lock the door and don't open it for anyone unless I knock three times." I told her. She nodded and I kissed her forehead before leaving the room, swinging Lucille over my shoulder.

After dealing with the intruder, I returned to our room and knocked three times. I waited, but there was no answer so I knocked again and there was still no answer. I pulled out my keys and unlocked the door, walking in to see y/n passed out on the bed.

I chuckled under my breath, moving over to my side of the bed and putting Lucille in her spot. I crawled into bed, pulling the sheets over me and kissing y/n's shoulder before covering her with a blanket and falling back asleep.

Y/N

"If you ever need anything in the middle of the night, don't be afraid to wake me up." Negan told me as we were getting breakfast the next morning. So far all I had heard from him this morning was this lecture.

"Alright, I will." I assured him as we walked to a table and sat to eat. "What happened last night, anyway?"

"I've got it on good authority that Rick sent someone to kill me. She's in a cell right now, we'll visit her after we eat." He said, taking a bite of his eggs.

"We?" I asked, finding it odd that he'd let me in on this business rather than making me stay in our room or helping out in the kitchen.