chapter xii.

I WOKE as I felt the truck stop and Negan turned off the ignition. I sat up, feeling my head spin and my stomach clench.

"Morning, sweetheart," Negan greeted, opening his door and sliding out. He walked around to my side and peeked in through the window. "Stay here until I say it's clear." I only nodded my head as he walked off, twirling Lucille in his grip before slamming it into a roamer's head.

I took a look around the tiny town we were in. There was a bar down the street and a little convenience store next to it, advertising a 'buy one, get one free' toilet paper. I glanced at the place Negan was scoping out, seeing the mannequins in the window.

Negan walked out of the store, his bat dripping with fresh blood and his jacket zipped to his neck. He swung the bat again, attempting to clean it of tissue before continuing his trek to the truck. Before opening my door, he unzipped his jacket and set down Lucille.

"All clear," He said, extending his hand to me and I took it as I jumped out of the truck. My stomach clenched again and I doubled over on the ground, Negan jumping back a little. "Damn, a warning would be nice." He chuckled and I glared at him.

I wiped my mouth on my sleeve and walked towards the store, leaving Negan to catch up. I opened the door and walked in, the smell of the dead overwhelming me. I turned around and walked back out, choking on the smell.

"It doesn't smell pretty in there," Negan said, taking off his red scarf and handing it to me. "Here, put this on." I took the scarf and placed it over my nose and mouth as he tied it in the back.

"Thank you." I said, smiling, but realizing he couldn't see it. He opened the door for me and I walked in, the scarf masking the smell. He walked in after me, the smell not seeming to bother him.

I walked around the abandoned store, looking for any maternity or oversized clothing that would be more comfortable. Negan walked around too, but on the look-out for any of the dead he could've missed.

While searching the piles and racks of clothing, I had found a few dresses and bigger tee shirts that wouldn't be tight around my stomach. But had no luck finding any jeans with a wide enough waist.

"You almost done, darling? We've been here for an hour." Negan said, crouching down beside me as I sifted through another pile of clothing. I looked over to him and realized he was closer than I anticipated.

"I just wanted to find a pair of jeans or sweatpants so my hips won't suffocate in these ones." I said, lifting up a pair of gray lounge pants. I flung them over my shoulder and tried to get up, but my knees cramped and I couldn't get up.

"Can't get up, sweetheart?" Negan asked, chuckling. I extending my hands towards him as he got up, hoping he would help, but he just stood there chuckling at me. "God, I wish I could photograph his right now."

"Can you help me? Please." I asked, clamping my hands at him and moving my legs into a better position. He continued chuckling as he grabbed my elbows and pulled me up. I thanked him and put the clothes I had picked up on a shelf.

Negan walked off again and disappeared from my view. I figured he was scoping out the rest of the store so I took off the hoodie and jeans I was wearing to try on the dresses I found. Before I grabbed for the dress, I heard a whistling, knowing it was Negan.