The Angel and The Rainbow~ *A Clint Barton Fanfiction*

Prologue~

'They'll never take her, not while I'm still alive and breathing!' The young woman thought, the fierceness in her emerald colored eyes, never ceasing. Her bright red hair, dulled and matted. Her clothes were tattered, ripped and dirty. She ran and ran through the dark forest, the shadows taunted her and grabbed at her clothes. The pounding sounds of footsteps, the flashlights shining like search lights in the dark, searching for her and her precious little bundle.

She searched and searched, she couldn't find the place of safety from those monsters that hunted her and her baby. Finally it came into view. A raggedy old shack in the middle of the forest. Normally people would stay away from it, but here is where she knew she could be safe. She approached it cautiously as she normally did, until she heard a yell, "Where are they?! Where is that devil child and it's mother?!"

'No time to lose, I must send her away.. No matter how much I want to keep her.' She thought sadly. She dashed inside, locked the door and sighed in relief. "Do you have her? Do you have Angelina?" A voice asked, worried and somewhat scared. The woman nodded as she spotted her lover, and father of her baby. A handsome man, he was. Dark brown almost black hair, blue eyes, fair skin. He truly was handsome in the woman's eyes.

"Richard, I don't know if we can do this anymore. We can't put Angel through this." She said as she held her crying baby. The father, Richard, took the baby gently from the mother's arms and cradled the small one, as he rocked her back and forth gently. "Hush little Angel, all will be fine." He turned toward the mother, and kissed her gently, pouring all the feelings he had in him. "I know, Sarah, but we can't risk hiding her here, they'll find her sooner or later here, but I know a place where she can be safe." Sarah looked in his clear blue eyes, confused. "Where? What place would be safe enough for our little darling?"

He looked at Sarah, and smiled sadly. "Somewhere far away. Far away from here." "Will she see us again? At all?" She asked, scared for her innocent child. Richard handed Angel to Sarah and said, "That's the problem... I don't know." Sarah smiled tearfully as the little infant reached up and grabbed her finger. She looked to Richard, determination in her eyes. "We'll do what we must. Anything to keep her from harm."

Richard smiled sadly, pulling up a chair to the desk, with a pen in hand and paper on the surface, he began to write. As he wrote, Sarah began preparing the departure of the little infant. A few minutes later, Richard joined his lover in preparing their baby. Wrapping her in a silk blanket, they placed her in a basket. In that basket the placed 2 letters. One for the people who'll receive her, and one for her to read later on.

The placed gifts from them to give on her birthday when the time is right, and placed her favorite thing inside; her kitten. The dark-speckled tabby slept soundly next to the sleeping girl. Finally, as a parting gift, her father placed his ring next to her and the mother, with a tearful sob, took her necklace and placed it in between the small baby's hands and kissed her forehead. The father did the same, this time the child slowly woke, and opened her clear blue eyes.

She gave a tired, toothless grin before falling asleep again. The mother silently cried, as the father took a cloak, (yes he still used one) and carefully took the basket. With a sincere kiss to his loved one, he took off into the night. Using whatever moonlight that passed the leaves to help him see.

After a long while, he approached his friend. "Sam, are you ready?" His blond haired friend nodded, and with that exchange, Richard gave his only daughter to his friend. Sam took off into the night, knowing the importance of the basket and it's contents. Richard turned back to the forest, and went to check on his lover, for they were itching to leave the horrible place.

Packing what things they needed, they purchased a plane ticket and boarded the plane. As the plane took off, Sarah looked out into the night sky. "Will she be alright? Will she be safe? Will her foster parents keep her safe?" She asked quietly as she began to fall asleep. Richard glanced at her before grasping her hand softly, and kissing her forehead. "She will. She'll have to be. After all, she is our little Angel."