Chapter 8

Leila got up to the annoying screech of her alarm clock, alerting her that it was Monday. The air was filled with the smell of pancakes. Justin was up, and cooking, and she sat up. She really didn't want to get up. She went to her closet to pick out some clothes. She picked out a simple tshirt, that was plain gray, and a pair of jeans. She just never felt like picking out a nicer outfit, as it was too much effort. So normally, she wore a shirt with a pair of jeans- as it went with almost everything.

She then climbed down the stairs, to find Ryan tying his shoes in the living room, he looked up, and gave Leila a small smile. She then walked into the kitchen, to find Justin putting pancakes on three separate plates. Justin didn't notice her, and Leila said a simple, "Good morning."

Justin looked up, "Good morning, Leila."

Ryan came in, behind Leila and sat at the table. She stared at Ryan, recalling the memory she had last night. It wasn't the first time she recalled the moment, of course, but it always saddened her when she did. She often felt the only reason he had taken back what he said, was because he would have to face Justin's wrath if he didn't. Even before he had taken custody over his two younger siblings, he was frightening when he got mad.

"Why are you looking at me like that?" Ryan snapped her out of her thoughts.

"Oh, no reason." Leila countered, making Ryan simply shrug.

Justin finished their pancakes and unloaded them on their plates, as he began to talk, "Leila, I have scheduled a appointment with your doctor today about you not eating. I will pick you up at one."

Leila nodded, and rolled her eyes a little. She was estatic about being released from school, obviously, but she hated doctors. Plus, she doubted this appointment would do anything. They never did.

***

"Open wide!" The doctor shined a light down Leila's throat, and nodded. "Step on the scale please."

Leila did so and the doctor scribbled something down on his clipboard. Justin just sat in the chair in the corner, observing. "Leila? Can you step in the hallway while I talk to your brother?"

"Why?" Leila demanded.

"Leila. Go in the hallway." Justin ordered more firmly.

Leila, more affected by her brother's stern tone, left and went into the hallway. However, she had not wanted to miss out on any details. So, she put her ear to the door, and listened to the voices of her doctor and brother. They had already started talking, so she missed out on a sentence.

"But why would she say she's not hungry, if nothing is wrong with her?" Justin's voice floated from inside the room.

"She may not be hungry but I don't think it's physical." The doctor replied. "You said your parents died, in front of her?"

There was a pause, before she heard her brother respond with, "Yes, she was."

"Have you considered the fact that she may have depression or some sort of PTSD?" the doctor asked him.

Another pause, "Of course I've considered it," Justin replied, quietly, "I just didn't realize she was showing that many signs..."

Leila frowned. Her and Justin had never been very close, even before their parents died. They cared for each other, more so before their parents died. He was strict with her, but not close to her. Not close enough for him to realize something was wrong.

"I recommend having her see a psychiatrist and a therapist. Perhaps there is a mental problem."

"Okay." Came Justin's voice.

Leila pulled her ear away from the door, and waited a few minutes, nervously awaiting her brother's lecture. However, when he exited the room, his eyes were filled with sadness, causing Leila to feel guilty. Had she failed him, yet again? Justin's sad eyes floated to Leila.

His tone was unreadable as he said, "Leila, let's go home."

I am so so sorry I haven't updated in a while. I've been so distracted by school lately and this story has been pushed to the side.

Anyway, next chapter will probably be a flashback one.

I might add a minor romance side plot (and I mean, very minor) because I feel it would be cliche to do anything major, but I figured out a cute way to do it, without making it override the current plot, and still not be cliche. But right now it's a maybe, and it will probably be a one-sided thing.

Anyways, vote and comment please!