Chapter 1

Setting: Friday Morning At Washington's High Hallway

"So we still linking up tonight at the usual spot?" I said as I opened my locker." "Girl of course." Sky and Monae said. We all looked towards Simone waiting for an excuse on why she couldn't make it tonight. "I have to babysit my uh dog tonight, my dad has to work late at the church." She said. "Bitch are you serious? Your dog? That's the best you can come up with?" Sky said. "I thought dogs could watch themselves," Monae said, she was usually the slow pretty one. We so used to her asking stupid questions we started ignoring her after a while. "Alright, Simone, whatever you say," I mumbled. The bell rung, giving us 2 minutes to walk to class.
"Ugh, shut up Sky and thanks for understanding Tiff, love yall." She said as she ran off to class. "See y'all after fourth period," I said.

My fourth-period class was the best part of the day, for one it was my last class because I was a senior and second it was English 4, one of my best subjects. It only lasted for about 55 minutes but it felt more like 20 minutes since I was always the first one done with my essays. The bell rung before I knew it. I met Sky and Monae downstairs by the gym. They had to grab their dance bags before leaving. We were all on the majorette team. I was the captain, Sky was the head co- captain, Simone was the co-captain, and Monae was the lieutenant. We all had been dancing since the age of 5, it was our passion. We were so good, we all were offered scholarships to be apart of Jackson State J-settes. But what they didn't know was I was offered a scholarship to be part of Alabama State Stingettes too. If they found out I got a scholarship somewhere else they would flip out. We've been with each other since first grade and planned to go to college together. They would hate me forever If I ruined it.

"Finally, what took y'all so long? I'm starving." I said as we walked towards the parking lot. "Liz was hooping when we walked passed the locker room and she stared for about 15 minutes," Monae said. "Now y'all know Liz has been my crush since middle school." Sky said while opening the car door. "If she's your crush so bad just ask her out," I said. Sky gave me dumb look. "Now we all know that's never gonna happen." She said. "And as long as you have that mind set, you'll forever be single," I said. "Ahhh I know that's right," Monae said laughing at her while we drove off.