E L E V E N

Maggie sat on the floor now going through some old books trying to figure out why she wasn't able to break into my head. I couldn't get her high pitch scream out of my head. It kept replaying over and over again. The whole experience was honestly traumatizing, especially since a scar is likely to form on my hand. 

I accidentally fell asleep on the couch from the healing mix shutting down my system so that it could take its full effect over me. A gentle hand shook my shoulder to get me up. 

Jace's face slowly came into view. "Hey, we are leaving." 

I sat up stretching and realized that I had taken up most of the couch. Maggie was still on the floor and Bev had squeezed his massive frame into a tiny armchair to my left. "Where's the bathroom?" Maggie pointed down the hall and I made my way through her apartment. Even her guest bathroom was decorated beautifully. Everything felt like it was straight out of a catalog. When I move out I need to get her to decorate my place, that is, if I can afford it. 

The first thing I did was check my appearance in the mirror. I didn't realize that my hair had frizzed up and stuck up in every direction like Maggie's. I put it in a low bun to get it out of the way and then I washed my face to wake myself up. It was a lot harder with one hand banded in gauze.

Not having use of my right hand was already frustrating. I had to figure out how to unbutton my pants with one hand and then trying to wash my hands without getting the right one too wet was too much of a struggle. It probably took me twice as long in the bathroom than it should have. 

Jace got up from his seat on the couch when he saw me enter the living room. "How's your hand?" He sounded genuinely concerned which was new for the Jace I've gotten to know these past couple of days. 

"It's better...I guess." It still hurt when I tried to move it and I could feel the skin tightening as it healed. It was mostly uncomfortable and I knew that not being able to use it was going to throw off my mood until it was better. 

"Good-good," he paused, awkwardly staring at me. "Are you ready to leave?" He finally asked. 

"Yes, let's go." I grabbed my phone from the coffee table and joined the guys at the elevator. They hugged Maggie—who had also freshened up and looked back to normal now—goodbye. She pulled me into a hug too, which I wasn't expecting, and wished me good luck, saying that I was going to need it having to deal with Bev and Jace. 

It was dark now and past 4 pm which meant that we were over an hour late to pick up the order from Kee. Bev sped all the way back to the Upper West Side, managing to not get pulled over.

This time, I was a little more prepared to enter the secret market, so it was a lot easier to focus and keep up with the guys as they maneuvered all the way to Kee's shop in the Magistry district. 

"You're late," was all Kee said in greeting, her back to us as she fiddled with something at her work station.

"Sorry, we got caught up running another errand. Can you do it now?" 

"No, I'm busy. Should have been here at 3 like I said." 

Bev looked to Jace for help again since Kee liked him better. "Kee, please. We really need you to do this for us."

"You shouldn't be trying this so soon after failing with the stone again." Bev and Jace glanced at each other, confused, which made me realize that she shouldn't have known that information. "Don't look at me like that. The girl reeks of blood magic." 

"She's fine," Bev pressed on. 

Kee finally turned around to face us. I stood slightly behind Bev and Jace in the middle. Her eyes landed on me and softened. "Are you sure you want to risk this?"