S I X - T E E N

In all of my years of living in Ardsley, I have never been so glad to be back in this town. I was only gone for two days, but it felt like three months. I probably had a lot of explaining to do to probably both my parents and Cami about what I was up to this weekend. I was okay with lying to my parents, but Cami has always been better at squeezing the truth out of me. 

Bev drove us back to their house since my mom's car was parked there. We pulled into their driveway, and I immediately hopped out, taking in a breath of the cold fresh air, the kind you couldn't get in Manhattan. The smile never wiped off of my face as I transferred my bag into my car. Last night I was so desperate to go home, convinced that Bev and Jace weren't going to allow me, yet here I was less than 24 hours later, free to do as I please once again. 

"Hey, before you leave, we need to talk."

I paused halfway into the driver's seat, groaning at Jace's request. "We just spent two hours in a car, and now you want to talk?"

"I want to make sure that we are on the same page," he said, leaning on the hood of my car now, his arms crossed, and the wind blowing in his hair. "Clearly, our efforts this weekend only proved that my grandmother's spells are quite powerful, likely because she anticipated this reaction from me, and in the process, you were exposed to a lot of things that you obviously can't express to anyone else. The only reason we are letting you go back to your life right now is because I believe that you are smart enough not to open your mouth, so don't prove me wrong, Elliot."

"Don't tell anyone that you have magical powers, got it. Anything else?" I rolled my eyes. 

"Don't talk to any strangers, especially the ones who give you a weird vibe. It is possible that traces of our magic are still on you and that could make you a target. You'll be safe in your house and when you're around me and Bev, but just be extra careful when you're alone."

"I'm not five, Jace. I know not to talk to strangers. Can I leave now?"

"Sure, see you at school tomorrow," he said, getting off of my car. I waved goodbye and drove away as Jace stood in his driveway watching. 

I drove straight home since it was already 8 pm and my mom kept texting me, asking when I would be home. She opened the door before I could even shut off the engine and stood with her arms crossed waiting for me on the porch, in her typical mom pose.  

"Oh look, my youngest daughter finally remembered she had a home, or were you planning on moving in with Camilla?"

"I'm sorry we just wanted to hang out since we've both been super busy with school these past couple of months. I'll make sure to text you on the hour next time," I said, walking up to her with open arms hoping she would accept my apology with a hug. She eyed me carefully before relenting and pulling me in. 

"I get it, but just remember that your parents want to see you too before the inevitable day that you leave the nest.."

"Yes, mom I understand that too." I dropped my bags and turned straight into the kitchen, where my dad sat at the table on his laptop. He didn't seem as upset as Mom, probably barely noticing that I was gone all weekend. 

"Did you see your sister, yet?"

"Olivia?" I asked, stopping in my tracks. She was off at college right now and wasn't meant to be back until next week for Thanksgiving. "She's here?"

"Yea, upstairs in her room. Go say hi."

I couldn't tell if my dad was joking with me or not because he seemed rather indifferent about it. Whatever he was working on his laptop must have been stressing him out. Regardless, I ran upstairs and busted into Olivia's room to see her sitting at her desk, typing away on her computer. I screamed, causing her to turn around and scream as well.