T W E N T Y - T H R E E

Olivia stood with her arms crossed facing Jace and me on the sidewalk in front of our house. We were all still processing everything that came to light  tonight. Olivia was Bev's mystery girl and I'm in a fake relationship with Jace—two things that shouldn't be happening.

I thought the worst part of my night had been flipping through the air in a car crash. At this point, it felt like it happened days ago and not a couple of hours ago. I was exhausted and still healing from the bruising. I did not have time to process what it would mean for Bev and Olivia to be together. 

I found myself hoping that it was going to be a quick fling, maybe even a sleazy hookup that did not go anywhere after that—anything that was not a serious relationship. I was not ready to have this be another obstacle in my life that would just cause unnecessary stress and anxiety. 

"So this was fun, but it is getting late and we should go," said Jace, turning and pressing a quick kiss on my cheek. I froze, not anticipating that. "Bye babe," he winked and stepped away from me dragging Bev away too. We watched them depart in their separate cars, Olivia moving to stand next to me. 

"Why didn't you tell me you had a boyfriend?" She asked, sounding hurt. 

"Why didn't you tell me you were going on a date tonight?"

"Because you were off with your little boyfriend before I had the chance. What is your problem with Bev anyway? He has been nothing but a gentleman if that is what you are concerned about."

"Nothing, just don't get too serious with him," I said, moving to unlock the door. 

"What is that supposed to mean?" Olivia asked, but I ignored her and ran upstairs to lock myself in my room. I did not want to deal with this right now. All I wanted was to crawl into my bed and never leave.  

Sleep immediately came, dragging me into a dreamless rest. I awoke the next morning, momentarily forgetting everything about last night. I was reminded once I went down for breakfast and Olivia was sitting at the kitchen island, solemnly drinking a cup of coffee. She got up after she saw me walk in. 

"Hey, should we talk about last night?"

"What is there to talk about? You were on a date with Bev and I was out with Jace. What else is there to say?"

"I don't know. It just feels like you are not telling me something."

I froze, one hand reaching into the fridge for the milk. I have never been a good liar, and Olivia knew that too. "There is nothing else," I say grabbing my bowl of cereal to sit in front of the TV. I did not make any plans for the weekend, so I was fully prepared to finally relax for a couple of hours with nothing to do. 

"Are you going to use the car today?" Olivia asked following me into the living room. 

"No, it Is all yours," I responded, still starring at the TV.

"Thanks," she sighed and left to go upstairs. I felt bad for giving her the cold shoulder, but I could not risk accidentally letting something slip. 

Olivia came downstairs ready in her cutest outfit, hair done, and makeup perfectly applied. I heard her rummaging around in the kitchen cupboards, probably stealing all of the best snacks. She appeared in front of me, blocking my view of the TV. 

"Mom and Dad are out with Aunt Clarissa, they will be back for a family dinner later. I'm going out, if you need anything, text me."

"Cool, see you later," I said, twisting my neck so that I can see past her body to the TV. She huffed, clearly frustrated with me but did not say anything. I heard the front door close behind her and the car start in the driveway. The last time I was home alone, the house was broken into—twice, which did not help to settle my thoughts for the afternoon.