09 | WIZARD'S CHESS

issue
act 1; part 9  | wizard's chess
...

"YOU ARE JUST going to have to accept the fact that I'm terrible at Wizard's chess, James!" Diana exclaimed, hitting her head on the table with a quiet thud.

"No, no, no Diana! No girlfriend of mine is going to be terrible at Wizard's chess." James said, shaking his head at Diana as he gathered the broken pieces.

"How many times do I have to remind you that I am not actually your girlfriend." Diana mumbled, her head still on the table.

"You're the only choice I have okay? Sirius and Peter don't know how to play and Remus is always too busy." James said pouting.

"So I'm your last resort?" Diana asked, lifting her head up from the table.

"Well, yeah." James sighed and looked at Diana with an almost sad look.

"Gee, Potter, you really know how to make a girl feel special." Diana said rolling her eyes at him. Diana was about to leave but decided against it when she saw the disappointed look that was etched on James' features.

"Alright, Potter. We have one more game but after that I am done. I need to finish my essay for McGonagall." 

James grinned so hard that it almost had Diana worried. She just rolled her eyes, eager to get it over with.

"I NEVER  THOUGHT I'd live to see the day where James Potter would be defeated at wizard's chess." Sirius laughed, patting James' on the back and giving Diana a high five. 

"I agree, good one Diana." Remus complimented with smile.

Diana couldn't wipe the smile off her face, it actually felt good to beat James Potter at his own game. She had get off her high horse though, she still had an essay to write.

"Well, as much as I would love to stay here and relish in my victory, I still have an essay to write." Diana said, standing up, collecting her things, and making her way out of the great hall.

"Don't you want to play one more round?" Sirius called out with a teasing grin.

"When I get back!" Diana said, turning her head and looking back at them with a huge grin.

"Looking forward to it, love." James winked. Diana laughed and shook her head, before they knew it, she was out of the great hall.

"Alright, Prongs. We know you let her win." Sirius said, nudging James with a small, teasing grin on his face.

"I have no idea what you're talking about."  James said with a small smile, cleaning up the broken chess pieces and setting them aside.

Remus couldn't help but smile at his friend. "Admit it. No one becomes that good of a player in just a short time span."

"Maybe she's just naturally gifted." James said, shaking his head, the smile still present n his face. "She is a Ravenclaw after all."

"You can't even wipe that stupid grin off your face!" Sirius laughed loudly. "Come on, Prongs! You made some really obvious mistakes that even I could beat you! I don't even play chess."

"Alright, so I let her win. So what?" James said, finally admitting it. "I made a careless mistake and she was able to get my knight. You should have seen how excited she was. So I let her win this round by making a few more mistakes."

"That's adorable, James." Peter said, speaking for the first time since they got to the great hall.

"I try, Peter. I really do." James said, shaking his head. "Now, will you three just drop it."

"No promises, Prongs." 

...