18 | WHAT ARE FRIENDS FOR

issue

act 2, part 8 | what are friends for

...

IT'S DECEMBER 30TH, the date in which students who elected to come back early from their winter holidays at home were expected to arrive back at Hogwarts. As a result, the train platform was packed with students who awaited their friends' to return. The holiday spirit was far from dwindling as the promise of a new year was approaching. The students chatted amongst themselves as they huddled together in groups, holding various 'welcome back' themed paraphernalia. The faint sound of a train whistle signalled the approach of the Hogwarts Express, chugging along the tracks. The students waiting looked to the direction of the arriving train, their eyes widening in anticipation.

Four of those students were Arabella Arroway, Sirius Black, Remus Lupin, and Peter Pettigrew.

Remus and Peter held a small welcome banner between them; covered in several little gold stars, smiley face stickers, 'welcome home Diana' written in the iconic Ravenclaw-blue ink on a crisp white background. Their grins widen at the sight of the familiarly bright blonde hair that bounced its way toward them, eyes alight with excitement. She reaches them in no time, heart warming at the sight of the banner, holding a hand over her heart.

"Aw, guys, you didn't have to do this." Diana cooed, gesturing at the welcome banner that they had made her. "You didn't even have to come pick me up at the platform, I could've met you guys at the castle."

"But we wanted to though." Remus said, acting nonchalant, running a hand through his hair.

"Thank you, it means a lot." She smiled, a faint blush on her cheeks.

Arabella pulled her in for a quick side hug, an arm around Diana's shoulders, "Not a problem, Diana."

Still, Diana couldn't help but feel a very noticeable absence. Looking around, she asked, "Where's James?"

"Oh, apparently he's in a meeting with Dumbledore and Evans." Sirius explained. "Head boy and girl stuff."

Diana nods in understanding, but still she felt a small tug on her heartstrings at James not being able to be there with her and the marauders.

"No matter, I'm sure you'll have plenty of time to catch up with him later." Peter chimed in, his tone positive in an attempt to cheer up Diana when he noticed her face falling ever so slightly.

They make their way back to the castle, making small talk on the events that had transpired over holiday break.

Diana told stories of her time back in the muggle world, where her parents lived and worked, celebrating with little to no magic; in spite of how convenient it would have made most things. She liked being a half-blood, having footing in both the magical and the mundane kept her from getting used to the monotony of only being brought up in just one. Her mother was a witch, but she owned and worked at a small hole-in-the-wall bookstore in London, leaving the magical world behind. Diana often asked if she ever regretted not getting into a more magical line of work, and every time she'd shake her head with a smile. Spending the holidays with her parents made her realize that magical moments don't always come from actual magic.

Her friends coo at her stories and realization, noting how close Diana must be with her family. They then told stories of their break: the snowball fights, feasts at the hall, the gifts they received, all the hot chocolate they drank. Diana listened to their stories with a smile, hanging on to each of their words. In the process, she noticed the large of absence of someone in their stories.