12 | A POST-MEETING CONVERSATION

issue

act 2, part 2 | a post-meeting conversation

...

"UNLESS YOU GUYS have any questions or concerns you'd like to raise, or maybe suggestions you'd like to make on how we can improve student life here at Hogwarts, we're done for today."

The prefects looked at each other then looked back at the two figures at the head of the table. Their mouths clamped shut. Lily Evans looked at them expectantly, gaze and posture stiff and unmoving. James Potter leaned further back in his seat, eyes darting back and forth from the prefects to the door. No sound could be heard except his foot repeatedly tapping on the ground.

"Nothing? Alright, you are dismissed. Oh and I want reports on the points each of you have added or deducted from other students so far in the term. And while you're at it, think of ideas on how we could decorate the castle for the Holidays." Lily sighed, placing her quill down. Immediately, everyone started putting away their things. The prefects made a bee-line for the door, mumbling goodbyes to James and Lily.

Lily shook her head in annoyance, her brows furrowing.

James chuckled at her expression. "Still not used to it, huh?"

"Why aren't they taking their roles more seriously? Don't they know that to be named prefect is an honour and they should be responsible enough to-" Lily said, quickly, barely pausing.

James strode towards her, and places his hands on her shoulders. "Hey, Evans, breathe."

Lily closed her eyes and took three deep breaths, feeling herself get calmer as her fists unclenched themselves. Her breath gets caught in her throat when she opens her eyes only to find James Potter's eyes gazing down at her own. She gulps when she finally noticed the weight of James' warm palms on her shoulders.

"You alright?"

Unable to find her voice, she nods. James removes his hands from her shoulders and takes a few steps back. "Relax, alright Evans? You don't have to breathe down their necks all the time. They don't need that kind of pressure. These prefects, they're students, just like us. You can't expect them give more than what they're asked to. Hogwarts is stressful enough as it is."

"I know it's just that I feel like we could all be doing better."

"You have to let them live a little though, okay?" James asked and Lily reluctantly nodded. She fiddled with the straps of her bag and mumbles an "okay" back.

"Great!" James grinned. He turned on his heel, back now towards Lily. He makes his way towards the exit. "I'll see you around, Evans."

He was already out the room when Lily loudly said, "James, wait!"

James pokes his head through the door, "What?"

"Can I ask you something?"

"Uh, sure." James said, reentering the room. "You have to make it quick though. I'm meeting Diana in a bit."

"Right, um, yeah." Lily gulped, eyes now trained on her shoes. "How are you two?"

"We're wonderful." James smiled, the corners of his eyes crinkling behind his glasses. A faint blush spreads across his cheeks. "Yeah, we're doing great."

"That's great!" Lily answers all too quickly, looking back up at James.

"Yeah, was that all you were going to ask? Because I really don't want to keep Diana waiting." James shoved his hands in his trousers' pockets, eyeing the door.