15 | FOR WHATEVER IT'S WORTH

issue

act 2, part 5 | for whatever it's worth

...

"I'M TIRED." PETER muttered, slamming his potions book shut and resting his head on the hardbound cover.

"You've barely gotten through one chapter." James snickered from beside him, shaking his head. "Power through this. It's the last test we have before winter break, then you are free to rest to your heart's desire."

"I know, it's just that Potions is so...boring." Peter replied, drawling out the last word with a breathy sigh.

"Hey! As your Potions partner, I take offence to that." Remus objected from across Peter. "Don't I make those classes fun for you?"

"Not with you nagging me every two seconds every time I try to brew something." Peter said, rolling his eyes. "And your fun 'potions facts' of the day are the opposite of fun."

"I'm just trying to make sure you do it right and keep you interested." Remus said, holding his hands up in mock surrender before turning his attention back to revising.

"Jeez, who pissed in your cereal today Wormtail? Why so snippy?" Sirius teased. "I happen to like the fun potions facts, Moony."

"Thank you, Padfoot. I'm glad someone here appreciates them."

The four marauders, huddled over a table in the common room, continued their reviewing for an upcoming Potions test. Sprawled across the table were stacks of books, scrolls of parchment, a handful of quills, and bottles of spilled ink. As they hunched over shared already graded essays, earlier quizzes, and Arabella's neatly written notes, they didn't notice somebody enter.

"James."

The four of them looked up to find Lily Evans standing in front of them, looking rather nervous and avoiding eye contact with everyone.

"What is it?" James asked, a small smile on his face.

"I need to talk to you."

"Sure, what about?" He shifts in his seat, turning to face her, and signals for her to continue.

"Actually, I was hoping that we talk in private." Lily said, tugging on the sleeves of her maroon coloured jumper.

Sirius' brows shot up as soon as the sentence left Lily's mouth, alarm bells beginning to ring inside his head. "Why does it have to be private? Whatever you have to say to James, you can say to us."

Lily's cheeks turn the slightest shade of pink as she feels the sweat form on her skin. "Uh...it's about head boy/girl things."

"Oh, alright. You want to talk in the prefects' meeting room?" James asked. Lily responded with a nod, stepping aside to make room as James pushed his chair back.

The rest of the marauders watched cautiously as James fixed his things. Sirius stared at Lily, as if he was attempting to read her mind; however, she avoided his gaze and continued to fixate her eyes on the ground. With a wave of his hand, James turned to his friends to say goodbye. "I'll be back in a bit."

As they were about to leave, James and Lily come face to face with Arabella, who had just entered the common room. She looked at the pair with a confused expression, "Where are you two heading?"

"Prefect meeting room. Head boy/girl stuff." James replied, shrugging.

"Oh, okay." Arabella's gaze travels to Lily who is unable to look back at her. She brings her attention back to James. "Hurry back, yeah?"