cliche af but im crying

Neither of us know how the rest of prom will go down, and neither of us care. A nighttime drive seems much more pleasant to us than staying in a room with people we don't truly know. I feel safe here in the car with Nat. His eyes are on the road as they should be, but I can sense his focus on me as well. The lights are calm all around us, the buildings tall. There's nothing better than driving through the hazy night with someone you love, and I can see that here. It all feels better now.

We have not discussed the fact that Nat will be leaving for college while I will still be in the same town I've always inhabited and will inhabit maybe for the rest of my life. We're cherishing the time we have together. Our past does not concern us, nor does our future, which will split off into different roads once we graduate. That's irrelevant.

All that matter is us on this dimly lit road, driving absolutely nowhere in particular yet feeling completely secure because we are together. I am here, next to the person I despised before I lost myself, and realize that I think I found myself in him. Months have passed since the crash, and he is still the only person I see in the word reality. He is the only person I need, even if that's a temporary truth. We have grown together and will grow apart, but right now we are here in his car with a buzzing song on the radio, and suddenly I'm not so scared of that.

I don't know who I was before "I" was taken from me, but I know who I am now, and that is enough.

~~~~~

A/N: listen to the entire song it's so good (I have a whole playlist of music like this where ur driving at night w the ppl u love and u feel so young and free and it's called "sounds for cars" find it on my spotify @nostrilartist not trying to promote myself tho i just think u might like it bc it makes me cry all the time)

so ye anyway this is the end and I've loved writing it and leave a comment if u want telling me if u liked it, too!!

this book is branded as a story of growth and forgiveness and it's expected to be link's growth but it's actually more about nat so isn't that neat lmao

k bye

~Dakota