Chapter 4: Small Steps

Seven years and nine months ago

Yuuri smiled, checking his hair one last time in the mirror. Phichit watched from the kitchen table, annoyed and amused at the same time. This was the fifth time the Japanese man had gone to that same mirror to move aside one piece of hair for his date.

And there was still another twenty minutes before Viktor would be there.

"Yuuri, chill," Phichit smirked. "This is your-- oh, what is it? Tenth date with the guy? I doubt he cares if your hair's out of place just a little. Besides, he'll just be messing it up later."

"If you're suggesting what I think you are, then you're wrong."

The Thai man only chuckled, standing to guild Yuuri to chair. He followed reluctantly, craning his neck over his friend's shoulder for one last look, but Phichit blocked his view. Once they were both sitting, Yuuri did the other thing he'd been doing if not checking his appearance. He was checking his phone, rather if it was the text or time, Phich had no idea. All he knew was that his friend was excited to be seeing his boyfriend for the first time in a month.

Yuuri set his phone back down, fidgeting his hands. Phichit opened his mouth to say something, but then Yuuri's phone started ringing. But it wasn't the phone in front of him, it was his work phone that was on the counter. The Japanese man leaned back, tipping his chair a little as he did, grabbing the phone and answering it.

"Katsuki," he said to the other person.

"Yuuri, I have a job for you," the other man, a man named Jean-Jacques Leroy and had been hiring him frequently since he first met Yuuri. "I'm going to need you in NYC to take out a reporter who knows too much. It should be fairly easy, I believe, if you're up for it."

Yuuri only sighed, finding the timing to be horrible. "I'm sorry Mr. Leroy. I'm busy the next few days."

"But, Yuuri, please. He's--""

"I have other clients, sir," Yuuri lied. The last job he had was about two weeks ago in Tokyo. It was a simple one and one that paid well. He didn't any more money as of right now.

"I'll pay for your tickets. You and your hacker can even fly on my private jet."

"I already told-"

"I'll pay double!"

Yuuri was about to turn the man down yet again, but his friend reached across the table and took it from his ear. Before Yuuri had time to react, Phichit had spoken the few words that Yuuri really didn't want to hear right now.

"Excuse my friend, he's just been a bit overwhelmed. When will the jet be landing?" there was a pause to let the employer reply. "Alright, we'll be there."

Phichit ended the call, sliding the phone back to Yuuri.

"Get packing," Phich ordered him. "We're leaving for the airport in two hours."

"Phichit, I have a date!"

"And we have a job."

Yuuri stood up, swinging Phichit around to face him, and he was terrified at that moment of what his friend might do to him. The Thai man gulped, shrinking back against the wall. Yuuri caught on to have scared he was making his friend and let go, but Phichit knew better to run. The two need to talk this out.

"Viktor is coming over to Japan for two weeks. Two! This job will most likely take up five days of those fourteen."

"I'm sorry Yuuri, but think about it. If we take this job, which we're getting paid double for, may I remind you, then you can fly out and see him for a few weeks."