Chapter 40

*Jason's POV*

We started walking to this little forest in the very back of our neighborhood. We went to this small wooden bridge that was entangled with vines.

"So you wanna tell me the real reason why you didn't go to the cafe?" I asked Emily who still seemed a bit off

"I already told you why. Anyway what was all that yelling about?"

I know she is hiding something, but I'll let her tell me on her own time.

"It really isn't that important. Just stupid stuff, don't worry" i said

"Oh, now who isn't telling the whole story?" She said pushing me playfully

"So you admit you are hiding something?" I said smirking

"No, but you are"

"You know what?" I said

"What?"

"Let's not talk about anything stressful. Let's just leave that at home."

"Okay" she smiled

"Remember that big tree we used to climb up when we were younger?"

"Yeah!" She said excitedly

"What's say we go back to being kids again and go climb up that big ole thing?" Her eyes lit up

"But wait what about my hand?" She said a bit saddened

"I'll help you"

She nodded and we made our way to the tree.

We smiled at each other as soon as we stood in front of it.

We ran towards it and we started climbing

I would help Emily when she couldn't get up cause of her hand.

We laughed and kept climbing until we reached the top. We sat next to each other on a large branch and just looked out at the rest of the trees.

For a moment everything that I had been stressing about disappeared.

It felt like my heart was finally able to get out from under all of that weight.

I felt like I could fly

*Emily POV*

Being up this high felt amazing. I could breathe and I felt happy.

I wanted to stay here forever!

About 10 minutes passed and we had just been siting there. Finally Jason said

"We should be getting back."

"Yeah"

He helped me climb down the tree and then we made our way back to the house.

When we got there everyone was just as we had left them.

Caleb, Shane and Danny were all sitting there watching tv

"Wait, Emily i thought you were with Kyle" Caleb said

"No, he said it was really busy and we wouldn't be able to hang out" I said sheepishly sitting down next to Shane.

I mean I couldn't very well tell them the real reason.

That I couldn't go because -

"Okay listen up guys" Jason said standing in front of us.

"Social services is sending one of their people to come and take a look around and ask some questions tomorrow morning at 8. They got an anonymous tip that there was something bad going on here. My guess is that 'anonymous tipper' is someone we all know and hate. So tomorrow everyone needs to be up by 7:30 with rooms clean. So tonight let's start tidying up so tomorrow we have less work."