iii.

ºᴼ°∙∘☆

ºᴼ°∙∘☆

ANASTASIA found her way over to her friends, close enough to where she could hear the boys conversation. They were talking about the district of Alberta. But while her and the girls were walking away, she heard a comment from Gilbert.

  "A cute girl is a cute girl." Anastasia was staring at him at this point, a look of sadness displayed on her face. He turned to look at her, just as Tillie tapped her arm. She sent him one last glance before walking out of the schoolhouse.

  Anastasia had been harboring feelings for the kind boy for a quite a while, yet, she liked to keep that a secret. One of her other secrets. Ruby was her best friend, and she didn't want to hurt her like that. Anastasia was the first to know that she had a crush on him, and she made a lot of fuss about it, insisting she tells the others.

  "I don't know what you were doing walking with Gilbert Blythe," Anne attempted to say something back, but she was cut of by Tillie

   "You can't talk to Gilbert Blythe, You can't even look at him."

  "Well see for yourself. Ruby has liked him for three years, she has dibs." Anastasia turned to look at her crying friend, placing a soft hand on her shoulder.

  "There, there, that nasty girl didn't know any better. Just like yesterday, with all your tall tales."

  "I'm sorry. I didn't mean to walk with him. It just happened. And Anastasia was there too." Anastasia sighed, not ready to explain this situation.

  "Me and Gilbert are best friends, we've always been best friends. And Ruby is okay with that, because I don't have a crush on him, Okay?" Anne nodded, and Anastasia face flushed a bit at how rude she sounded.

  "Well, don't let it happen again."

  "I won't, I promise." Anne responded, "I'll have nothing to do with him."

  Anastasia turned to look at Anne and Diana, before turning away to follow her best friends. She felt horrible, like she said so many things wrong today.

ºᴼ°∙∘☆

  "OPEN your readers to page 32. We will we reading aloud Barry Cornwalls poem "The Fisherman." Mr.Phillips announced, and Anastasia did as he said.

  "Diana Barry, stand an begin."

  When Diana began, she immediately chopped up the word perilous. Anastasia sighed from in front of her, tapping her fingers on the wood desk.

  "Perilous indeed. Sit down."

  "New girl. Up. Continue." Anne stood up, as she was told.

  Anne's voice startled Anastasia, and she jumped from a bench. Anne was using such a loud voice, and she didn't expect it to come from such a frail, small girl.  As she finished, she was ordered to sit down. And the class erupted in chatter and laughter, a grim looked displayed on Anastasias pale face.  

ºᴼ°∙∘☆

  Anastasia watched in dismay from the classroom, her newest friend trying to get Gilbert to walk away from her. He, of course, was offering her an apple, and Anastasia was trying not to watch to intently. Instead, she was staring off into the fields, like she always did. Suddenly, Anne stood up from her seat, startling Anastasia, and her piece of bread fell to the ground.

  "Aree you okay, Ana?" Ruby questioned from beside her, placing her hand on Anastasias arm. and Anastasia nodded, looking out the window again to see Anne running away. Anastasia looked at the head of her best friend in sorrow.

ºᴼ°∙∘☆

  After lunch, the students in Anastasia's class were busy solving math problems while Mr.Phillips wrote them on the board. She sighed, bored out of her mind. But really, she was stuck in her mind, solving problems of her own.

  "I'M not talking to you!" Anne shouted, a crack sounded from behind Anastasia. She was too scared to look behind her. But when she did, she was met with Anne looking quite angry, and Gilbert holding his face. In Annes hand was her slate, and she must of hit him with it.

  "Anne!" Anastasia exclaimed, and Gilbert's eyes were now trained on his brunette friend.

  "You just did." Gilbert walked back to his seat, and Anastasia snapped her head towards the board. She, of course, was quite angry with Anne at the moment, but she would soon get over it.

  "Shirley! get up here, now! What a vicious display, is that what they taught you in that orphanage?" Anne slowly walked up to the board, and everyones yes were trained on her.

  "Unacceptable." the class continued to laugh and have other conversations. A  glare was displayed on Anastasias face as Anne looked at the brunette. She knew she shouldn't act like that, but that is her best friend.

  "The rest of you, pipe down!" Anastasia decided to block out the rest of this conversation, as she already had enough worry and anger coursing through her veins that she did not need another reason to be anxious.

  She snapped out of her thoughts as the door slammed open, and she turned her head around to see Anne running out. Anastasia gasped, looking over to Gilbert, who was staring out at Anne, while the yells of Mr.Phillips drowned out the laughs for the other children.

  Gilbert's eyes met Anastasia's sad ones. She looked quite concerned, but she turned back to the board, clearing her throat. She had no idea what had had just happened, and she was so confused.

ºᴼ°∙∘☆

  "GILBERT Blythe! Let me se your face!" Anastasia exclaimed, walking by Gilbert. He had a hand up to his face, and he was being very stubborn. She didn't even suspect to do this, but she ripped his hand off of his cheeks. It wasn't terrible, only a bit red and blotchy. He scowled at here, walking bit faster. She sighed, catching up to him.

  "Gilbert, this isn't like you!" she started walking faster, but then stopped when she realized something, "My lord, you have a crush on Anne."

  Gilbert suddenly stopped moving, and he adjusted his scarf, clearing his throat. He seemed a bit flustered at her remark. She rolled her eyes, walking away and hitting his shoulders on the way.

  "A cute girl is a cute girl." She mocked him, turning around and glaring at her best friend. He smiled at her, but something was odd about his smile.

  "Are you jealous, Anastasia Riley?" This comment made Anastasia stop dead in her tracks, all of the color on her face draining completely. He now stood in front of her, exactly like she did to him. He was standing in the same position, his arms crossed and his foot taping on the ground. She took a deep breath, stuttering out a few words.

  "I-I-I-um, no I don't. Thats ridiculous. Why would you even think of such a thing?" She muttered, lowering her head  and walking past him. She took a deep shaky breath, her pace quickening as she heard him walk up closer to her.

  "Ana! Hey,Anastasia!" He yelled, placing a hand on her shoulder, she spun around slowly. She held a very grim look on her face, and she didn't let him meet het gaze.

  "I don't even know why you would think I like you." She whispered through gritted teeth. Her breathing was still shaky, she didn't want to reveal her feelings for him. She felt him staring at her hair, when he released her shoulder from his grip.

  "I don't know why I would think that, I am very sorry, Ana."

 ºᴼ°∙∘☆