xiii.

ºᴼ°∙∘☆

"So, you're just leaving?" Anastasia breathed out. It had been a few days since she had seen Gilbert, and the news of him leaving broke her heart. 

"I have to, staying here makes me too upset," Gilbert sighed, his breath fogging up around his face. Anastasia nodded, letting out a shaky breath and looking at the white sky.

"Right, I understand. With all of this happening, and your father dying. It's understandable. Yeah, I understand." She rambled, her jaw quivering slightly. She was not going to cry. Not today. Not in front of Gilbert.

"Ana, please don't be sad," Gilbert mumbled, and Anastasia laughed and shook her head.

"Oh Gilbert, how am I supposed to not be sad? You're the person who makes me happiest out of everyone. Not Ruby, not my parents, you. And to lose you so fast, I-I just can't.' She choked out, covering her mouth with the back of her hand, "And I understand you're upset about your father dying, I completely understand. And I understand he would want you to leave, but why?"

Gilbert shook his head, a sigh escaping his lips. He shook his head and laughed, meeting her gaze again. Anastasia's frown grew wider, a crease forming between her eyebrows.

"In all honesty, Ana, you would be better without me." He explained. Anastasia shook her head, staring at him in disbelief.

"You're kidding, right?" You have to be. There's no way you're serious." She exclaimed, taking a step backward. She shook her head, licking her lips while a silent tear rolled down her cheeks.

"Ana, you have to understand." Gilbert tried agreeing, but she shook her head, not daring to make eye contact with him.

"I'm trying to, I really am. But, I just can't. I can't understand why you're leaving, or why I would be better off without you." Gilbert just stared at the girl in front of him. He shook his head, taking a step forwards.

"Ana, just please, don't be upset." Anastasia shook her head, hugging her chest. She looked at him, her eyes welling up with tears.

"Is it because you don't like me? Am I just a burden, or a waste of space." She whispered, closing her eyes.

"Ana, of course not. You're the complete opposite of a burden," Gilbert placed a gloved hand on her shoulder. She smiled slightly, "And I love you."

Anastasia glanced up at him, a wide smile growing on her face. She felt another tear slides down her cheek, he had said that he loved her.

"I love you too. But I'm still upset." She laughed, and Gilbert chuckled at her. She reached forward, wrapping her arms around him. She let out a little sigh into his neck.

"Please tell me you'll still have one last tea with me." She whispered. Gilbert laughed, nodding his head. They pulled apart, stepping into the warmth of the house. Anastasia ran into the kitchen starting a kettle on the stove. She pulls out a chair from the table, Gilbert sitting in front of her.

"Let's just forget I'm leaving, and have a normal conversation," Gilbert suggested from the other side of the table. Anastasia nodded, tapping her foot on the ground.

"Okay." She smiled, standing up to grab the kettle from the stove. She poured the water in the cups, handing one to Gilbert and keeping one for herself.

"I hope you get to see jack again." Gilbert glanced up at her. Anastasia let out a happy sigh.

"Oh, I hope so too. I love seeing him." She smiled, taking a sip of tea. The steam from the tea washed over her skin.

"He will make you happy enough." Anastasia nodded, setting her cup down on the table.

"I know you said to pretend you aren't leaving, but, where do you plan to travel?" She asked as Gilbert stared at her intently.

"Definitely Alberta. That's what father would want." Anastasia laughed slightly. staring down at the ground.

"He would. Your father really loved Alberta."

"He really did."

And there they sat, late into the night. They were both content, sharing stories that both of them already knew, but enjoyed. Anastasia was happy again, even though she knew she probably wouldn't see him for a while. She knew to keep her head high, and not make herself upset over it. She knew she owed stay happy until he returned.

ºᴼ°∙∘☆

OKAY SO THAT WAS THE LAST CHAPTER!!! I knew I promised it would be longer, but I really wanted to finish this lmao. I will be writing a sequel when season 2 comes out. Any who, I hope you enjoyed this book, and I hope you have a lovely day!

-reba