xi.

ºᴼ°∙∘☆

ANASTASIA stepped onto her front porch, her green dress blowing lightly in the wind. She sighed, turning the doorknob. There her mother sat, drinking a tea at the kitchen table. She noticed her daughter, standing up immediately. She crossed her arms by the table.

"Anastasia, where were you?" Her mother croaked, her eyes red, indicating that she was crying. Anastasia felt a bit of guilt, gulping and looking at her feet.

"I was at Gilbert's." She mumbled, biting her lip. Her mother stumbled over to her, wrapping her arms weakly over her daughter's body. Anastasia breathed in, the sent of mint filling her head.

"I'm not happy he's here either, but we have to talk. Okay?" Anastasia nodded. And almost on cue, her father stepped into the room. Anastasia let out a shaky breath as he smiled at her.

"I'm so sorry, Anastasia." He said, and Anastasia nodded, looking down at her boots. She sniffed, slowly walking over to the kitchen table and pulling out a chair. She sighed, tapping her fingers against her thighs.

"I understand that you didn't want me." She mumbled, and her mother placed a hand on her arms.

"No, Anastasia, I did want you. I was young, and I didn't understand. I thought it was best fro me to leave, I wasn't fit to be a good parent. And look how you are, you're beautiful, and you have people who care about you. And you obviously have a thing with that boy."

Anastasia smiled slightly, her gaze lifting to meet her father's brown eyes. As she looked at him, she realized how much he looked like her, his soft brown eyes. His curly brown eyes. She felt tears sprouting in her eyes.

"I understand, having a child is a big responsibility. Especially at such a young age." She smiled weakly, glancing back down at the table. She stood up, her mother nodding her head before Anastasia ran up the stairs, closing he bedroom door and running over to her bed.

ºᴼ°∙∘☆

IT had been a few weeks, and Anastasia and her father had grown closer. They would make tea, and exchange jokes and stories in the morning. But there was one thing horribly wrong, she had not seen Gilbert for the longest time. She knew it had to do with his father, but once she got the news of his death, fear pulsed through her.

She tied he black bow at the end of her braid, her pale skin contrasting against the black of her clothing. Gilbert requested she was at his house early to help prepare, and to keep him company. He knew she wouldn't pity him, she knew how it felt.

She waved goodbye to her parents, the cold air biting at her nose, her face instantly flushing. She started walking, the snow crunching under her feet. Thoughts flooded her mind as her braids whip in the wind. She turned her head upwards, staring at the blank sky.

Before she knew it, she was standing in front of Gilbert's door, knocking her fingers against it. Almost instantly, it swung open. She sighed, jumping up and wrapping her arms around him, trying her hardest not to cry. He hugged her back, his breathing heavy.

"What do you need help with?" She asked as they pulled away. Gilbert motioned for her to follow him to the kitchen. She sighed, tugging at her gloves. He explained how to make the pie, but it all seemed like a blur to her. She smiled lightly at him, before

ºᴼ°∙∘☆

ANASTASIA walked next Gilbert, glancing at him ever so often. She was so lost in her thoughts, she couldn't really hear anything, She frowned as the stopped, and she felt Gilbert's gaze on her. She glanced at him, smiling slightly. She could see the pastor's mouth moving, but she couldn't hear anything.

She felt a hand grip hers, and she looked down, seeing Gilbert's hand in her own. She breathing calmed, feeling a warmth inside of her. She sighed, staring off into the distance. She didn't realize everyone leaving,and that it was only them outside now. Both staring off into the distance.

"It's fine if you want to say you're sorry, I understand." He commented, looking at her. She frowned, nodding her head.

"But, I won't. Because You already know I'm sorry about your father died. But what I'm really sorry about is you having to live on your own, with our anyone. You can live with us, we have a spare room, and my mother enjoys your company so much, you wouldn't have to do jobs or anything. Please, just stay with us, I wan-"

Anastasia was cut off by Gilbert hugging her. She let out a noise of surprise, but before she could even process what happened, he pulled away, grabbing her forearm. She looked rather confused as she glanced over his face, smiling ever so slightly.

"I can manage on my own, Ana," he responded, smiling at her, "You should go home, you have a family to go home to."

Anastasia looked down, sadness passing over her face. Thoughts raced her mind so fast, the next thing she did was out of her comfort zone. She wrapped her arms around his neck, planting her lips on his. They stayed like that for a rather long time. Gilbert was the one to pull away and glance at Anastasia's flushed face. He smiled, turning around and walking back towards the house. He turned and waved to her, a signal for her to leave and go home.

She turned around, pulling at her gloves. Her feet took her in the direction of her home. She jumped up and down when she was in the forest, not a very lady-like thing to do, but she was just so happy. She giggled as she ran the rest of the way home, her breaths forming a cloud around her face.

ºᴼ°∙∘☆

Wow, twice in one day?? I'm honestly proud of myself lmao. Also, sorry if this makes no sense whatsoever, I don't really know how funerals work?? Any who, this is also kind of short, but I did update twice, so yeah :) also sorry for spelling errors

~reba