Present

"From this moment, I, Drew Mitchell, take you, Jade Simmons, as my best friend for life. I pledge to honor, encourage, and support you through our walk together. When our way becomes difficult, I promise to stand by you. I promise to work at our love and always make you a priority in my life. With every beat of my heart, I will love you forever and always. Even if we're apart."

Tears trailed down my cheeks as I spoke, and she smiled up at me from her bed. Everyone was crammed into the small room. All the family members we could contact on short notice. All the close friends. They were all there.

She took my hand and held it tight as she struggled to fight out the words.

"I, Jade Simmons, choose you Drew Mitchell, to be no other than yourself. I will always love you. And please remember, even if I'm not there, I will love you forever and always."

I leaned down to kiss her. Our impromptu wedding over.

It wasn’t perfectly flawless. In fact, it wasn’t even bittersweet. The bitter overrode the sweet by so far that it was all just somber. Sad and painful and somber.

The monitor's steady beep slowed down. Her grip on my hand loosened.

As I pulled away her eyes were shut. Her body was lifeless, and I knew I had lost her. I rested her hand down and rose from my seat. I walked out of the room and sat on the bench in the hall. I needed to be alone.

It's crazy how life can change so instantly. One minute you're happy. Life is perfect and going great. You're plans all seem like they're going to fall into place, and it's all organized.

And the next it comes crashing down on you.

Jade and I spent every moment together it seemed, but that wasn't enough. I still wished I had spent more time with her because in this world, every moment counts. Every second matters. You only get so much time on this earth, so much time with the people you love, so many moments to spend wisely.

And one day they could be cut short without warning.

Just like Jade. The one I'll never get to spend the rest of my existence with like we had planned. The love of my life. The one I'll always care for.

Forever and Always.

Gone, but not forgotten.

~Moments In Time, over and out~