The Singer

~Noah~

When I got there, I texted Dylan. He said to just walk through the gates and into the backyard. I walked in and he greeted me.

"Hey!" he called from a few feet away. I glanced around and saw patio filled with people. Off to the side, there was a pool house with a cabana in the front of it. There was a band set up underneath it with three people talking underneath it. There were two girls and a guy. One girl and the guy both had red hair and the other girl had light brown hair. That's all I could really tell about any of them from this far away. However, the girl with light brown hair looked really familiar. I feel like I met her before, but I couldn't put my finger on it. Suddenly, the floodgates opened and a million and one memories came rushing back to me as I realized who she was. I greeted Dylan and we talked for a few minutes when Lilly turned back towards the microphone.

"Any other requests?" she called through the mic.

"End of the Night!" I called, making Dylan look at me with a "What the hell?" look on his face.

"What?" I said as if nothing happened. "I like hearing other people's renditions of it." It was one of our older songs, but it was also one of our most popular, so there were a lot of covers online.
I thought that that song request might tell her who I was or let her know that I was here or something like that. Possibly even bring back some happy memories. However, the opposite seemed to happen: she looked shocked for a second, then her face almost immediately got super red and she seemed to get really flustered. Lilly said she didn't know the chords to it— which I knew was a lie—so she asked for any other songs. I decided to shout out another one of our songs that I love hearing people cover.

"Alright! I love that song!" the girl exclaimed. It always actually made me really happy whenever people told me that they actually loved our songs. She sat down at the piano and started playing the intro. I remembered writing that song. It was nice to be in a band because a lot of people didn't have the luxury of being able to have an outlet to express themselves into. I do, and it's awesome to be able to get my feelings out into songs. It also lets me easily know when other people feel the same way I do and have shared some of my experiences and lets me know that I'm not alone. A lot of people don't get that.

She started singing. She had a beautiful voice. She had a very passionate voice, and she really did a phenomenal job with the song. Even though I was the one who actually wrote the song, I felt as though I was listening to it for the first time. Her voice was so amazing. I was hanging on to every word she sung. Her voice was so captivating. The way she sang gave me this odd feeling in my chest. I could almost feel butterflies fluttering around in my chest. I wasn't sure why. When she sang, I felt like I was lighter than air. There was just... something about this girl.

I had to meet her.

After she finished, she said that she was going to get a water and walked back into the pool house. I stayed standing there, staring at the keyboard across the patio. I could still hear her in my head, the way her voice seemed like it would carry a thousand miles without a microphone. I had an odd feeling that I wouldn't be able to get it out of my head for at least a little while.

There was something so familiar about her. There was something in her voice, something about that light brown hair paired with those dark brown eyes that I remembered from somewhere. Suddenly, it hit me. That was the girl who I actually found myself looking forward to meeting again after a full year. That was the girl who I had always thought would end up a singer when she grew up, just like me. That was the girl who I found myself looking for in the hallways once she became a freshman in high school. I wasn't sure why I was, but I always did.