The Message

~Lilly~

It was Sunday. Last night was honestly one of the best nights of my life, besides obviously my first date with my boyfriend of nine months, Matt. I got to hang out with my brother and Noah again, after a year. Not to mention that weird moment that Noah and I had at the piano. Not entirely sure what that was about, but I couldn't stop thinking about. Just, the way he looked at me for those few seconds. I couldn't get it out of my head.

Not that it mattered, anyway.

I was with Matt.

I was sitting, now, on a lounge chair in the backyard by the pool when I heard my text tone on my phone chime. I looked at it and saw Matt's name flashing on the screen.

Matt<3 ~ Hey babe?

Lilly ~ Yeah?

Matt<3 ~ Can you tell me what the hell this is about???

He proceeded to send me a picture from my Instagram. It was of me and Noah from yesterday. The caption was "Finally got reunited with my 'childhood crush' XP".

Lilly ~ Yeah? What about it?

Matt<3 ~ CRUSH?? It's not okay to have a crush when you are in a committed relationship with someone!!!

Lilly ~ Calm down!! I said my CHILDHOOD crush! I had a crush on him when I was, like 12! Trust me, I got over it a long time ago.

Truth be told, it really wasn't at twelve. It was more like twelve to sixteen.

And even now a little bit.

I was sixteen when Dylan and Noah left for their first tour. That's when I had finally decided that nothing was going to happen between us. I mean, I was in a relationship at the time—my very first one—but... we don't really talk about that relationship anymore. It was extremely one-sided and it... it was toxic, to say the least.

Matt<3 ~ Okay, fine.

I could tell it was begrudging, but that's as far as I was going to get with Matt. He was extremely stubborn, but not always in a good way.

I felt my phone buzz again. But this time, it wasn't anyone from my contacts. In fact, it wasn't even a text. It was a Facebook message from someone named Jake Matthews.

Jake Matthews? I thought to myself. That sounds super familiar.

I picked up my phone and unlocked it. The message said:

Jake ~ Hi, Lillian. My name is Jake Matthews. You might not know me but I'm the president of the record label La La Labs. I was looking for a new sound when I stumbled across your band "The Dreamers" online. Your song "What Would I Do" was exactly what I'm looking for! I would like to meet with you and your bandmates on tomorrow to discuss signing you.

I was frozen. I was in a state of paralysis. I had to read it multiple times before it had fully sunken in. A few months ago, we had created a YouTube channel for The Dreamers in hopes of getting discovered. I never believed it would actually happen, but here I was with a message from the president of a record company, wanting to sign our band. Only after I read it a few times did I realize that this was also the same record company that We The People was signed to.

I immediately jumped up and ran into the house, shouting, "Dylan! Dylan!" I almost ran past him, as he was sitting at the kitchen table, which was right by the door.

He slowly looked up at me from his phone. "Can I help you?" he asked slowly. I put my phone down next to his and grinned widely.

I tried getting some words out to explain, but it just came out as unintelligible squealing.