Pretty Boy

~Noah~

What do I do now? I haven't spoken to her all day since then. That was probably way too forward.

I couldn't sleep. All I could think about was what happened before.

Do I actually like her? Was I just trying to make her feel better? No, I wasn't. Ever since I met her, I knew that there was something there. I have feelings for her, I can tell. But, she's Dylan's little sister. And she just got out of a long-term relationship. Well... relatively long term. Did I mess up? Well, she didn't seem awkward about it, so... so what? What does that mean? Maybe I should just talk to her about it tomorrow?

Today has been... interesting, to say the least.

Early today, Lilly realized that she had left a couple things at Matt's apartment. Dylan and I offered to go pick them up—er, rather Dylan offered and I insisted on going with him, not trusting myself to be left alone with her. While we were there, though, something kind of strange had happened:

After about an hour, we had packed everything and brought it down to the car. I felt so bad for Lilly, she said she couldn't even bring herself to come back here. Dylan was downstairs and I was about to bring the last box down when I heard a voice.

"So, I take it you're my replacement?" he asked. I turned around and saw a guy a little shorter than me with blond curly hair. I assumed he was Matt. He leaned his back against the wall and his arms were crossed.

"Excuse me?" I asked, confused.

"I said, so you're my replacement?" he repeated.

"But what does that mean, though?" I asked, putting the box down.

"I guess Pretty Boy can't put two and two together: I'm Matt, in case you can't tell, and I take it you're Lilly's new boyfriend?" He seemed extremely agitated, for some reason.

"Well... I mean... no, not really... i-it's complicated—" I stuttered.

"Look Pretty Boy, it's a yes or no question! Relationships aren't that complicated." He leaned back against the wall, crossing his arms. "Figures the little slut would've replaced me already," he laughed "It's been less than a day! Psh, she kissed me in the first week and slept with me in the first month, so don't feel too special."

I felt a white-hot, burning anger fill me at what he just called Lilly. I didn't feel as bad for her, now, though. It seemed as though she was better off without this asshole.

"Okay, first: stop calling me that. I have a name, it's Noah. Second, most relationships in life are much more complicated than just 'yes' or 'no', so no, it's really not a yes or no question. Third: if you even so much as think to call Lilly what you just did—" I suddenly rushed forward and pressed him against the wall, grabbing him by the collar of his shirt. A look of shock mixed with terror covered his face. He obviously wasn't expecting this. My eyes were inches from his and took all I had not punch him square in the jaw. "—you will be sorry. She may not be my girlfriend but I've known her and loved her since I was fourteen, and she is one of the most important people in the world to me." I released my grip on his shirt and took a few steps back toward the box. He opened his mouth to talk again, but I cut him off.

"Look, I've got to go," I said. "Dylan is waiting for me downstairs. Also, just a little tip for the future, if a girl you're ever dating has a protective older brother, you might not want to call her a slut in front of him, because if you had just said that in front of Dylan..." I let my voice trail off, and I just whistled and shook my head. I picked up the box and walked towards the door. Right before I left, I turned around with my hand still on the handle. "Oh, by the way, great job on breaking Lilly's heart. I helped her get over you real quick, if you know what I mean," I added with a snarky wink. Before he could respond, I walked out, shutting the door behind me.