Chapter 4

I wake up the next morning to an empty bed. I shower and get dressed before walking into the kitchen to see Dan eating cereal with Johnny and Olivia. Dan's coming to work with me today so we get ready and take Olivia and Johnny to school before going to the library.
"Dan, long time no see." Laura says as we enter the library and Dan smiles and starts talking to her while I get to work. I'm on the counter today, checking out books for people or checking in ones that are being returned.

"Hey Gav." I hear and I look up from the computer to see Michael. I bite my lip.
"Hey, what's up?" I ask nervously and I can tell he's nervous too.
"Do you, er, would you want-" Michael is cut off by Dan walking out of the office.
"Yo, B, it's time for your lunch break." He calls and I nod but really want to hear what Michael was gonna say.
"One sec B." I call back before turning back to Michael.
"What was that boi?" I ask and he shakes his head.
"Don't worry about it boi." He says, but he sounds sad and his 'boi' isn't as enthusiastic as it usually is.
"You sure?" I ask and he nods so I walk over to Dan, who wraps his arm around my shoulders, and we leave the library.
"What's wrong, B?" Dan asks and I sigh.
"Nothing." I mumble even though it's a lie.

Michael's POV

I finally build up the courage to ask Gavin out and fucking Dan interrupts us. I sigh as Gavin walks over to Dan and when Dan wraps his arm around Gavin and smirks at me I get so confused. Did Dan interrupt on purpose? I sigh and go to the cafe, needing to talk to Meg.
"Michael! What can I do you for?" Meg asks as I walk in and I lean against the counter.
"I need help deciding if I'm going crazy or not." I say and she nods, making me a cup of coffee before sitting opposite me at our usual table.
"So why are you maybe crazy?" She asks and I bite my lip.
"Well earlier I went to the library and I was going to ask Gavin if he wanted to go out some time but Dan interrupted half way through to tell Gav it was lunch and as they were leaving Dan wrapped his arm around Gavin and I swear he smirked at me but..." I trail off and Meg frowns.
"Well I don't think you're going crazy." She says and I frown.
"Then what is happening?" I ask.
"My guess is, Gav told Dan that he likes you and Dan got jealous cause Gavin hasn't been with anyone or shown any interest in anyone since he was with Dan 3 years ago." Meg explains and my eyes widen slightly.
"Wait, they were together?" I ask.
"Yeah, well they've been friends since they were toddlers and when they were 17 they figured they would try dating since they were so close and they wanted to see if they had any deeper feelings. Turns out Dan did and Gavin didn't, so Gav decided it would be best for them to just be friends. Dan gets jealous though cause he still loves Gavin." Meg explains and I frown.
"So Dan did interrupt on purpose?" I ask and Meg nods.
"Looks like it." She says before her phone buzzes in her pocket. She gets it out and looks at the screen before replying.
"Gavin and Dan are on their way here." She says and I sigh.
"I really don't wanna be here when they get here." I say standing up and Meg stands up too.
"Better hurry then, they were round the corner." She says and I sigh.
"Thanks Meg." I say, pulling her into a hug and she smiles.
"No problem dude." She says and as I leave the cafe I see Gavins car pull up. Fuck. Gavin definitely saw me. I hear him call me but I just continue walking, pretending I didn't hear. I walk home and collapse onto the sofa, immediately grabbing a controller and putting on crash bandicoot. I hear my phone go off multiple times but I just ignore it and have dinner before going to bed, deciding for once to go to sleep before 4am. Maybe now I wont be late for work tomorrow.

I wake up the next morning to a few missed calls and a few texts from Gavin but I decide to ignore them and get ready for work. My boss Mark rolls his eyes when he sees me walk in and gives me a sympathetic smile.
"You alright kid?" He asks and I nod, resting my head in my arms on the counter.
"Is this about that boy from the library?" He asks and I look up, frowning.
"How'd you know about him?" I ask and he doesn't need to say anything for me to know the answer.
"Lindsay." I say so he can confirm my suspicions. Mark is Lindsay's older brother and they're very close so this is no surprise. Lindsay is the one to get me this job. He nods and I roll my eyes.
"Of course she did." I say, smiling slightly.