30. Open channel

I sat in Mr. Dalton's class the next day, bored out of my mind and doodling in my notebook because my sketchbook was nowhere to be found. It was probably due to my own poor organization skills, so I couldn't really complain. Every once in a while I'd look up and see Ethan glancing back at me, a smile peeking up the corners of his lips every time our eyes met. It made me feel equally happy and guilty for what I'm sure was painful for Ladon.

"Are you alright back there?"

"Just fine." I looked up to where Aurelia was sitting, watching her eyes as they passed between Ethan and I. Her eyebrow arched inquisitively and I braced myself for the inevitable.

"Is there something going on you're not telling me?" She looked over at Ethan and I audibly sighed.

"I may or may not be seeing him."

Her eyes brightened up considerably, the overcast color turning into thunderclouds. "You're kidding! Sable I thought you had a thing for Ladon?!"

"I did," I rolled my eyes gently, "until he decided he actually wanted to be with me and by then it was already too late."

"Too bad, so sad," Aurelia snickered, "does Ethan know about us?"

"He does. He has a friend who has abilities like us too."

"No way." Her jaw dropped slightly as she turned around to actually look at me. I grinned and nodded my head towards the boy.

"Why don't you send him a message?" I chuckled darkly. "Give him a little spook."

Instantly her head whipped to him and I saw his head lift from the movement out of the corner of his eye. Suddenly he seemed to freeze and Aurelia smiled, absolutely pleased while she looked back at her work. They looked as if they were having a quiet conversation before she looked back at me again.

"I can have a three-way channel open, so I'll connect you two so that we can all talk."

"Sounds good to me." I nodded gently, watching as she narrowed her eyes in focus for a second before I felt a small shift in the air. "Ethan, can you hear me?"

"What in the living fuck is going on?!" He seemed to choke as he looked back at me, his eyes wide.

"I told you, Aurelia speaks through telepathy. She opened up a channel between the three of us so we could all talk."

"It's nice to know you're not as much of a douchebag as you seemed." Aurelia's chiming laughter echoed in my mind as she grinned in her seat. "Have you and Sable kissed yet?"

"Aurelia!"

"Yes," Ethan broke out in a smile, his cheeks painted with a light pink tint, "she's a better kisser than I thought she'd be."

"Hey!" I huffed, narrowing my eyes at him while he muffled a chortle. Suddenly Mr. Dalton's eyes were on him and he clammed up instantly.

"What might you be laughing at, Mr. Burkett?"

"Nothing, sorry." He caught his breath and his composure before looking back down at the book like he was reading.

The bell rang for lunch finally and we all packed up our things, walking towards the door and out into the hall together. We were all laughing as we passed speech through our little mind network, right up until we reached the lunchroom. To my surprise I saw Iden at a table counting cash before separating it into two stacks and we all walked over, taking a seat across from him as I eyed him curiously.

If I Die Youngजहाँ कहानियाँ रहती हैं। अभी खोजें