Sexuality // Lavada // [16+]

Sexuality

     As a teenager, sexuality can become a big deal. Everyone who's anyone knows who's been with who and what they're doing behind closed doors. Here are a few tips to help you gain insight on how to handle these ordeals.

     1. Slut Shaming

     Never do this. Slut shaming is a major problem through teenage years for many girls (and a few guys). A lot of the time it's an accusation based on how they dress, act, speak, etc. It doesn't have any valid reasoning behind it. Whether it's the traditional slut-shaming of females or the accusations of 'man-whore' -- it's all the same: degrading and unnecessary.

     A good way to handle this:

          a) Don't get involved. As soon as you let your head get buried in the gossip and rumours of others peoples activities, it's pretty hard to clear it all out -- especially when it's what everyone else is talking about. What you have to remember is that it's not your business. Would you like what you do to be gossiped about and spread? Most of you would say no, because it's none of their business. The same goes for everyone else.

          b) Stand up for others. If one of your friends is being slut shamed (or anyone you know, in general), don't support it. It's the same as bullying and you standing up for them can be a huge confidence boost for them as well as a blow for the bullies doing it.

     2. Information

     A lot of teenagers are extremely misinformed about sex in general. Although you are taught a bit in your junior health classes, it's best to know all the details before you run off your mouth.

     Internet: a lot of the stuff on the internet is false. If you're learning or are curious about sexual activity then I suggest the best places on the web to go would be professional heath sites.

     Parents: much to your dismay, your parents would know a lot about this topic. If you're comfortable, sit down with them and have a talk. Let them answer your questions and tell you their opinions. If you're not comfortable with this, there are always other options.

     School Guidance Counsellor: a lot of schools have these. Unless they say otherwise, your visits will be confidential, so you won't have to worry about everyone knowing about you talking to them.

     Advice Hot-lines: in a lot of countries there are advice hot-lines for teenagers and kids alike. Look in your phone book or search online. These hot-lines are useful as your conversations with the person on the other end are confidential unless stated otherwise.

     3. Protection

     If you are sexually active, don't worry, it's completely normal! One in three high school students are sexually active. Just remember protection.

          STD's are sexually transmitted diseases. Commonly known STD's are Chlamydia, Herpes, Hepatitis, etc. For more information talk to a doctor or look online. Proper protection such as a condom can prevent you from getting an STD. If you are worried about your lower region, see a doctor.

          Pregnancy is a large issue among female teenagers. Unfortunately, only females (biologically) have to worry about this, so preventing this one is up to you, girls! If you talk to your doctor they could prescribe you contraceptive pills which will greatly lower your chances of pregnancy. I would recommend this for anyone who has sex regularly (with the opp. biological gender).

          Privacy is a different level of protection. It's better to keep your sex life private. The act must be consensual, and so should the publication of it. If you or your partner do not want to let anyone know about what goes on behind closed doors, then don't say anything. Have a good talk with your partner about publicizing your sex life before you tell anyone. If either one of you do not consent to it, then the other should respect their decision and not spill the beans. If they don't respect the decision: ditch 'em.