Chapter 4

As Jareth has completely disappear, I shake my head and focus on the task at hand. 'Don't die and save Toby!' Seeing how I was on a small hill, which gave me an amazing view of the Labyrinth, I jog down to a more level ground.

Jogging down, I can see how the surrounding area looks very dry and dead like. For the trees has no leaves and that the grass is dry without a speck of green on them. It's seems like it hasn't rain in months! It reminds me of a small town being hit with a drought.

As I'm duck down from a tree with braces sticking out everywhere so I won't get hit in the face, I hear a tricking type of sound. Looking around, I soon discover where that sound was coming from. It was coming from a short person who had their back to me and was peeing.

'Well, this isn't awkward at all'

I awkwardly shuffle on my feet, uncertain of what to do as my awkwardness kicks in. 'Should I say something? I believe it would be impolite to not notify him that I'm here. But that would be weird, right? To random tell someone; 'hello? Yes, your peeing right in front of me! Could you, I don't know, use a toilet?!' That'll be rude-'

"Da Dee Dee"

'Fuck, I'm going to have to say something'

After deciding that; it is indeed rude to not tell the man of my presences as he is peeing. I clear my throat to announces my presents.

" *Ahem*. Excuse me?"

The man jumps at the sound of my voice and quickly collects himself with the exclaim of;" Oh excuse me!". His gravelly voice sounds sheepishly and he turns around to face me with an apologetic face. Only for it to fall at the sight of me.

"Oh, it's you" He remark harshly. Which shock me greatly for he said that with such displeasure, it made me think as if I've done something bad towards him. Despite the reality of this being our first time meeting.

"Um-P-pardon?" I stutter out while he grabs his possession that is on the ground, which looks like a spry smoke gun. One beekeepers would use on bees as they collect honey. Once the item is in his hands, he proceeds to walk towards something that happens to look like-

"57!" He cries out as he smokes a fairy and kicks dirt at it once it lands on the ground. Very confused, I couldn't help but to follow him as he walks besides a wall. "Um, excuse me. But, what are you doing?" I ask as he went to look for another fairy.

"what does it look like?" He asks back, not really paying attention to me. "um, it looks like your spraying smoke at fairies?" I answer which became more of a question than anything else.

"mhm." the man confirm. 'Well, this is going smoothly'. I stop following him and sigh. I studied the short man and noted that he has winkles on his face, pale blue eyes, a large nose and ears. I could also see white hair coming out from behind his red hat, away from his face. As well as jewellery on his belt.

"58!" the man shout as he smokes another fairy. I tilt my head, ever so slightly to the side and ask him;" Why are you spraying smoke at fairies?". The man stops to glance at me with a look of astonishment in his eyes as they widen.

"Now you're asking the right questions!" he said with glee " I'm doing this because these fairies are a pain! Nothing but a nuisance." the man answer vaguely with annoyances, showing how he truly feels about fairies After he answered, he continues on with his job.

Nonetheless, I nod at his answer and take it in. "what's your name?" I ask as I stroll behind him. " The names Hoggle!" Hoggle stated, not taking his eyes away from a fairy that's flying in front. "You?"

"I'm (y/n)"

"Ha! 59!"

"Not 59, (y/n)" I joke with a half-smile on my lips. "oh, ha ha ha. very funny." Hoggle reply sarcastically with an eye roll. I chuckle and stare back at the wall which separates me from the labyrinth. "Hey, Hoggle?" I call out, "Do you know how I can enter the labyrinth?".

Hoggle stops walking, which cause me to stop as well, as he turns to stare at me as if I was insane. "Why would you want to enter the labyrinth? Nothing good there" Hoggle ask. "Look, Hoggle, I really need to complete the labyrinth and get to the castle. And I don't have a lot of time. So, could you please help me?" I beg Hoggle, desperately.

Hoggle seems to be in thought, which made me anxious at the thought that he will refuse. After all, I could really use the help. The feeling gets replace with relief as Hoggles nods at me in agreement to help. He leads me towards a big double stone door that open at the sight of us. 'How did I not notice this before? It's literally just a small walk to the left. I could have found it on my own!' "You gets in there." Hoggle points at the door. I nod my head and approach the doors. But before I could enter it Hoggle ask me a question. "You really going in there, are you?".

I turn to look at him and nod. "I'm afraid I have to, Hoggle. I have to fix my mistake. Even if it means I have to enter the labyrinth to do so." I said with a somewhat confidence tone. Hoggle seems surprise for a second but nods at me nevertheless. Hoggle joins me as I walk inside. I see two long pathways that are litter with tree branches and seem to go on forever. One on my right and the other one my left.

"Now, would you go left or right?" Hoggle ask me. I sigh at the two pathways. Not certain which one I will take. "Um, which path would you take?" I ask Hoggle. Only for him to shake his head at me. "None! I wouldn't dare go in the labyrinth!" I turn my head at him. Hoggle seems scared of the laybrithn, I wonder why.

"Alright Hoggle, thanks for the help. I guess I'll take it from here. Good luck with smoking fairies." I said with a smile. Again, Hoggle seems surprise. Despite that, he nods his head towards me and wishes me luck too. Hoggle walks out as the doors closes.

'I guess the fun begins. It can't be that bad...right?'

---------------------

A/N: Hey folks, I just want to apologies for this shit chapter. I really don't like how it turned out. So I apologies for that and for Hoggie, if he seems out of character. Nevertheless, I hope you enjoy! Happy reading!