CHAPTER 3__Aso Rock Invite

I had initially planned not to accept the invite to go to the Aso Rock Villa on the dictates of the first lady. But with the pep talk given by Hauwa, and the fact that this was the first lady, I quickly reconsidered. And so we were driving into Aso Rock, minutes to the stipulated time.

I was nervous, a tad excited, and above all scared . My father was in the car, Hauwa was by my side and my uncle was also with us.

" You must tighten your hijab, do not let any trace of hair show, do not give them any reason to reconsider us or worse, change their minds" .
This was coming from my uncle Musa

"I don't support this, brother, her makeup is too bold, she should look more natural, soft not striking, she should have gone with a flowing gown and not these trousers, and she should look extremely religious above all"

My father turned to observe my hijab and without saying a word, he turned around again.

"Don't listen to him. You don't need to be more tense". Hauwa touched my arm and spoke lightly to me.
Still, I brought my hijab forward, I wanted to make a good impression.

My baba finally spoke,
" They've watched her before, it should have been clear she's not a religious fanatic. Let the girl be."

We got there and baba cleared us with the security,
As we walked to the presidential home , Hauwa decided I take a picture to commemorate this day. I could only agree. So I stood by a well trimmed garden and Hauwa took photos with her phone.

Earlier on our trip, she had taken me through a tutorial of the family.
Ali was the only son, his mother was late, but she had 3 children including two females, Sadia who was already married with twins and Zahra, who was the youngest of the three.
The second wife who apparently was the first lady, had twin little girls, Hadiza and Halima.

When we stepped through the doors, we were greeted by two beautiful faces. The younger female was the President's second daughter Zahra.

Quickly enough, I realized that the first lady was quite young as well.
There was a rumour at some point of the president marrying his daughter's friend. I wondered silently if it was not true. She looked older than Zahra but not with more than a decade. But that was not my business, I was in fact glad that there was a sort of easiness between them. In our country, polygamous families sometimes had bad blood.

After the greetings and pleasantries were done with, we were offered offals and small chops with a sweet wine.
I silently thanked Allah, for those etiquette classes, I and Hauwa had taken, because even a blind man would have seen how closely I was watched .

The first lady stood when we were done eating and we all stood.
"Your driver is waiting, we'll walk back to the car."
Was that it?? I was temporarily shaken. As we got to the jeep, she gently dismissed my family.

"We'll keep Jamilah for longer, I want to talk privately with her."

I swallowed, InshaAllah, I would be fine.

Baba kissed me on the head, Hauwa hugged me and they left.
'How are you then, Jamilah."

"Slightly nervous." I admitted

"It's to be expected, I can just imagine being drilled by my in-laws, I'm Zahra, Ali's younger sister."

"It's nice meeting you."

"The pleasure is mine. I'm engaged, and have in-laws breathing down on me, so don't worry I won't be giving you a hard time", she smiled slightly.

The girl was simply breathtaking.

" They must be very lucky, you're very beautiful. "

"So are you, wallahi, we were looking through your Instagram page, you're just so striking and your fashion sense. Just elegant".

" Well, I'm just so pleased to hear that. Originally, I was scared, religious would not be the first word to describe me."

We had returned to the large parlour and the first lady had quietly moved into an adjoining room, leaving just I and Zahra.
"Why is that?"

"Oh, I didn't grow up around the culture so much ,when we lost my mom, we moved to the south, I lived there away from our people , I even schooled there, I got my MBA in business in Saudi though, so I'm familiar with some of the culture but the religion, not so much."

"My father must have known all this before he picked you, and Ali quite frankly isn't a fanatic so don't bother yourself". Zahra shrugged as she spoke.

"So, I was thinking maybe we should make some finger foods, Jamillah, what are you familiar with?" The first lady asked me.

"Oh, I think a lot, Madame. The past year I've been reinventing myself with African meals, cooking classes after cooking classes. "

"Oh, that's just great, very helpful, and please call me Samrah."

I nodded respectfully. She must have sensed my silence because she asked again.

"Will you?"

It was with all the courage I could muster that I said

"'No, I won't , with all due respect, Madame First lady"

"Hmm, 'Madame first lady". Zahra laughed heartily. "Samrah I'm going to call you that."

'Let's just start up already, we'll make shawarma, it's Ali's favorite, Jamillah."

I didn't know what to say to that.

Fast forward a little jokes , banter, and lots of question-answering on my part, and the meal was ready.
It already smelled so nice .

As we sat to eat, a buzzer sounded and the first lady pressed some remote-like machine she was holding on to. The President voice came through the equipment.

"Habibi, have you spoken with her? How do you see her? Is she well learned? Socially fluid? Will she fit the form?"

"I have no objections, my Lord" she spoke into the microphone.

" Good, good, then we forge ahead ".
" Ali just reached Dakar. He will lead the negotiations in earnest. "

"We thank Allah",Zahra and the madame said.

"InshaAllah, he will be successful, he has a smart head on his shoulders. I will inform him of the girl when he is done with the trip"

"He will not object?"

"No, he is smart, he will put country first and even at that he will think she is perfect. I know my son".

I blinked twice . Ali doesn't even know about me?
What was all this talk of the girl fitting the form?
What form?
I had questions to ask but I couldn't seem to.
Walahi, what was going on?

Please. Vote, comment and share,
It makes me update faster