Chapter 12 moving on

"I can't decide what to wear, I need something casual, but pretty, really laid back like I didn't put too much effort but really hot like I always look good."

Hauwa and Zahra shared a look before they turned to me.
"Just wear something you'd usually wear at home."

"I've checked, nothing is good enough."

"I'm sure there's something there, you just want something new."

"Who doesn't want something new?" Zahra turned to me,
"But its two hours before he comes, you have to be a superhero to shop now and get back in time to be ready."

"I may have shopped on my way back from work."

"Really? Where is it then?"

I moved to get my shopping bag.

"Anyways I still can't decide. "

"Decide? You bought more than one? "
Hauwa smiled, it was clear Zahra didn't know me.

"I need you guys to help me. Please."

So I arranged the clothes on my bed for them to peruse.

"Hmm, I think the cardigan looks more casual." Zahra spoke first.
Hauwa kept looking for a full minute.
"I think she should go with the maxi gown. Its more covered."

"Dont bother you guys, I'm sure you won't agree on one thing. I'll just close my eyes and pick one."

___________________________________

Ali knocked 7 minutes before 8pm. It didn't even matter, I was ready and seated facing the door 37 minutes before 8pm.

After the second knock, I stood up and calmly walked to the door.

"Am I too early?"
"Its okay, come in."
When he entered and I closed the door, he turned to me
"Your dress, hmm, it looks very casual, like you didn't put in so much effort. I hope the shop you got it didn't rip you off."
I must have had a confused expression because he held my hands before smiling and saying,
"Zahra and Hauwa told me everything, hope the 6 gowns weren't too expensive?"
Oh my God! I tried to hide my face in my hands and disappear but he hugged me to himself and laughed while I buried my face in his chest. The vibrations I could feel were nice but I wanted to run right now.
"Its okay, girlfriend, you look very beautiful."
As he spoke, he opened my door to 2 soldiers, who saluted us before walking into my house, with baskets of food and wines.

We were done with dinner and in the kitchen where I was doing the dishes, feeling all womanly and proper.

Ali was watching me and playing songs from my playlist, or laughing at songs from my playlist.
I was laughing along with him though.

I heard my phone ring and turned to him, "Who's that? "

"A 'Jamal'."

I must have turned back so quickly because Ali asked,
"You don't want to pick up?"

"I'll just call back later on. Its not so important."

As the song continued and stopped again, I heard the beeping tone that signaled an incoming message.
I knew it had to be from Jamal, I considered how it would look if I rushed to get the phone from Ali with my soapy wet hands, so I decided to act cool about it.
"Jamal sent you a message, should I read it out for you?"

I paused.
"Does this mean you've opened it?"

"I don't have to, I can see it right here on your notification bar."

These stupid dull smartphones!
I turned squarely to face him as I dried my hands.
"Mila, I've missed you. I would love to see you again, can you make that happen for me?"