Gotham Cemetery

[The story is in Nico's point of view with some awkward accidental switches in there because I suck. Also, I don't own any of the art you will see in this story.]

[Edited April 15, 2023]

Nico di Angelo had left Camp Halfblood using his preferred method, shadow travel. His intended destination had been DOA recording studios in Hollywood, a discreet and relatively unknown entrance to the Underworld. He needed a little time to himself away from people, dead or alive. Though, he couldn't really say he wanted to be with Hades either, the god was usually too busy to bother with him anyway. Thanatos never takes a holiday.

  When the demigod stepped out of the shadows he quickly realized that this wasn't where he had intended to land. For one thing, it still seemed to be late afternoon or early evening, while in California it would be closer to noon. The next tip-off was the people. California was a fairly sociable place, filled with people going about their lives. This city was decidedly anti-social. From his vantage point, he could see several cars on the road but there was little to no foot traffic.

  He couldn't tell where he was by his surroundings, it looked just like any other city to him. Though, there was something particularly unwelcoming about this city, and he just couldn't put his finger on what it was. Maybe he was in Manhattan? He hoped he was, at least then he could find Percy's house and get a chance to get his bearings.

  Something told him he wouldn't be that lucky. He'd been to Manhattan before. While New York wasn't exactly welcoming, it didn't feel as ominous as this place. Nico was starting to feel unnerved. It wasn't often that he found himself in a position where his instincts screamed danger but he could identify the threat.

As he stood, surveying the filth and the haze of the pollution-filled sky, it hit him. This city reeked of death-- more than any city he'd been to before. Where am I?

  The son of Hades crept out of the alley he had landed in, looking for something that could help him. Anything. A quick glance down the street revealed a gated cemetery. It was small, as far as cemeteries go, and it was tucked under an L-train track. It seemed to span about a block in any direction. He breathed a sigh of relief.

Nico didn't waste any time in making his way to the cemetery. This was almost a blessing as he knew he'd be able to protect himself surrounded by the dead. It was risky since cemeteries tended to attract strange types, but it was a risk he'd be willing to take. With no idea where he was, the cemetery was his best bet.

  Nico made sure the coast was clear before he climbed over the fence. He dropped to the ground on the other side with a soft thump. He looked around to see if there was a guard or something around before moving further into the cemetery. Based on the condition these graves were in, there hadn't been proper management for a long time. It was the sad truth about death. Eventually, everything crumbled back to dust and ended.

  The demigod couldn't help but feel like he was being punished in some way for trying to take a leave of absence. He had just gotten fed up with the tension at camp and had to get some space to think. Some space to figure out what was next for him. It was hard to think when you were aware of people watching you and whispering all the time. He felt like he hadn't talked to anyone except for Percy and Annabeth at camp and it hurt. He was surrounded by people and still so alone.

The campers had been interested in him at one point, but the amazement of the Titan War was long gone.  Everyone was slowly forgetting how he had convinced his father to join the battle and, consequently, saved the day. Once the dust had settled, things went back to the way they had always been around other demigods, at least for him.

It wasn't like he had expected to be worshipped, but he also hadn't expected them to go back to avoiding him completely, either. In retrospect, he should have known that nothing had actually changed about his status among them. He was Percy's weirdo cousin, the displaced son of the dead, none of that guaranteed their respect, only their tolerance.