Demigod Dreams

[Edited: April 15, 2023. I hope you all enjoy it!]

That night, he lay in his new bed staring at the white ceiling, unable to sleep. He wasn't sure if it was because he was still processing being taken in by Gotham's very own Bruce Wayne or because he had this nagging feeling in his gut. Whichever it was, it was causing him great frustration. 

The room he had been given was nice. Too nice. It was fancier than anywhere he could remember staying before. The fixtures looked expensive-- antique. He was almost afraid to touch anything lest he was to damage it. There was so much furniture that he thought he wouldn't ever find a use for half of it. Two bookshelves that he couldn't imagine ever filling. The cushioned windowsill was nice, though, and he rather liked the fact that he had his own bathroom.

According to Alfred, it was a typical guest room, nothing special. He could change the paint and bedding to whatever colors he wanted once he was settled in. They'd also see about getting him a new wardrobe to replace the one he'd left at the camp, though he had insisted that it wasn't necessary. Accepting their gifts felt too much like giving in to this new way of living and he wasn't quite sure he was ready for all that. He'd only come here to get a warm bed, food, and a roof over his head. 

Though he was worried they were going to try and make him wear clothes he didn't like, Nico didn't think it was the impending shopping trip that was keeping him awake. 

 No, Nico had a feeling that something big was about to happen. Something that he would be needed for. He couldn't explain how he knew that, he just did. Is this how Percy felt all the time? Always knowing that he was doomed to be a part of a prophecy? Of course, Nico didn't know that he was about to be involved in some big prophecy, but he wouldn't put anything past the fates. He had a feeling they were don't with him yet.

After hours of counting swords and shields in his head and reciting Mythomagic stats, sleep finally overtook the son of Hades. Surprisingly, he could still remember most of the verbiage on the cards he used to own, though he would never admit it to anyone else if they asked. Nico had picked up the card game shortly after he entered the casino. The ideas of gods and monsters had always called to him-- even back then. It was a sick irony now that he could look back on it. He really should have known, even back then, that something was wrong.

When he finally did fall asleep, he was pulled deep into a demigod dream. In the dream Nico was running through the Underworld, searching for something. He felt like he desperately needed to find it, whatever it is. It was as if someone's life depended on it, which was very well possible. Nico felt both anguish and hope, an odd combination. As he ran, he recognized the path leading to Elysium. It occurred to him that he was probably searching for Bianca, his dead sister. The disembodied feelings became more real with this realization and he raced through the beautiful fields, searching for her. Nico searched for a long time but he couldn't find her, he couldn't even sense her soul nearby. He could barely push down his disappointment.

Nico left the Isle of the Blessed feeling depressed. He let his feet guide him through the familiar fields of asphodel. As he walked, he bumped into a particularly bright spirit. Nico stumbled back a couple of steps and looked toward where the soul had been but the scene changed before he could catch a glimpse of the spirit's face. Their familiar presence faded as he found himself somewhere else.

This time, Nico was in his family's old hotel, sitting on the hardwood floor, trying to teach Bianca how to draw a cat, one of the cats that lived in the alley behind the hotel. At first, everything was fine, his mother chatted with Hades, the fireplace glowed warmly, and the rain outside had lightened to a slight drizzle. It was perfect. Though, when anything gets to be as perfect as that moment had been, things could only go downhill, and they did. The tone of voice his parents were using in their discussion had changed. Father got up off the couch and started speaking to Maria in English, a language that the siblings didn't really understand very well. Hades was pacing and seemed agitated.