Sense of Normalcy

[Edited July 26, 2022]

Nightwing and Nico walked in silence to the manor. The tension was palpable as there was so much left to be said and neither wanted to say it. Nico knew he should be feeling shame or regret for tricking Nightwing and lying as he had for all this time. He knew that he should feel guilty and apologize, but he couldn't make himself feel remorse and he refused to make an apology that he didn't feel. That wouldn't help anyone. He knew that he had been doing what was necessary and he couldn't feel ashamed for doing what he thought was right or safe. He only wished he knew if Bruce would see it that way.

Even if Bruce didn't understand that Nico wasn't in danger and that he really felt that he was doing the right thing, he wouldn't regret the times he went to see Ivy. The son of Hades didn't regret leaving Hazel with her or hiding out at her place after the Telkhines attacked. He didn't regret getting to know her or calling on her for help. If he had the choice, he'd do it all again if he knew how much she'd help him and how important she had become to him. Though they hadn't had much time to get close, Ivy had become important to Nico and he was glad to have gotten the time to see the real her. She wasn't just a villain, she was a person who was fighting for a better planet. He respected and admired that aspect of her.

With the knowledge that he didn't regret his actions, Nico decided that he wouldn't fight with Bruce over this. If Bruce decided that he needed to pass down some punishment, the demigod would accept it without complaint. Not that there would be much time for any involved punishments like being grounded since he wasn't planning on being around for more than a couple more days. Even still, if there was some lecture Bruce wanted to give him or new restrictions he felt he needed to put in place, Nico would abide by them.

It was strange for Nico to have a parent who is so involved in his life. Though if Sally Jackson is anything to go by, Bruce really isn't all that involved either. Just more involved than Hades. It was a blessing and a curse.

Nightwing walked Nico as far as the Manors' breezeway before he split off to go down to the cave to shower and detoxify after the trip to toxic acres. Nico briefly considered showering first as well, but he figured that it was probably best to get this over with right away. He could always take a shower to cool off emotionally afterward if things went poorly. Nico stalked silently through the manor until he stood in front of Bruce's office doors.

Nico stared at the door, silently willing himself to open it. It is hard to force oneself into a situation that they knew they were going to hate. This wasn't something that would just go away, so Nico took a deep breath and knocked.

"Come in." Bruce was behind his desk looking over a computer screen when the demigod stepped inside and closed the door behind him, leaning against it. A few seconds later he glanced up at him.

"Nico? Come on in. Take a seat. I'll be with you in just a moment." He didn't seem surprised to see him so Nico guessed Nightwing told him that he was back in town or something. Last Bruce knew Nico would be back by the 26th. The son of Hades hadn't even known he would be back this soon.

"No rush," Nico replied lamely and Bruce peered at him skeptically over the top of his reading glasses. Nico vaguely wondered if the glasses were actually prescription or if this was for his Bruce Wayne persona. With Bruce, you could never be sure. The billionaire stared at him through his glasses and folded his hands in front of him on the desk. It reminded Nico of one of the times Dr. Thorn had called him into his office for skipping English. Well, before he tried to sell the demigod to Kronos.

"It's never 'no rush' with you. What's going on?" Bruce took off his glasses and leaned back in his chair with a resigned sigh. Nico felt his stomach flutter. He knew that he didn't have anything to worry about from Bruce, but he didn't like the idea of being in trouble. It was never a good feeling to have someone disappointed or angry with you.