Exposed

[The artwork is by Madness016 please comment and let them know what you think! Constructive criticism only, please! If you want to send in art, there is a discord link on my profile or you can PM me and we can discuss other options.]

[Edited April 17, 2023]

The next morning, Nico woke up exceedingly early, well early for him anyway. It was 5 AM, and he wasn't in the mood for life today. He took a shower, then got dressed and took care of his personal hygiene. He risked a glance and the mirror and was surprised to find that he wasn't repulsed by what he saw. Instead of the corpse that usually greeted him, he was met by an actually presentable figure. 

His hair was still in his eyes, the natural breaks making it look semi-spiky [see Viria fanart]. His cheeks still were tight but no longer looked hollowed. His skin was pale but it at least sort of had his olive glow again. There were shadows beneath his eyes, but they no longer looked bloodshot. If he put on a couple more pounds, he might even be considered attractive.

He didn't dwell on his reflection for long, being well aware of the story of Narcissus. Plus, he really wasn't much to look at. Sure, he wasn't ugly, but he wasn't going to be a heart-throb anytime soon, that's for sure. He finished up quickly before sneaking out of the house and into the garden. He really didn't want to face anyone just yet. 

Last night had been embarrassing. Just thinking about how pathetic and vulnerable he must have seemed made him cringe. That wasn't the impression he had wanted Bruce to have of him. He had probably just reaffirmed that he couldn't take care of himself in Bruce's mind.

He left for the orchard, dodging Alfred on his way out. He didn't really feel like talking to anyone yet this morning. He didn't want to take out his bad mood on Alfred. That would not go over well for anybody. 

When Nico got out to the orchard, he climbed up in a tree and just sat there-- staring at the manor through gaps in the leaves. He studied the classic gothic design with vague interest-- not understanding the design types but appreciating them nonetheless. The estate itself was massive-- it must cost a fortune. It definitely didn't seem like a place where he would belong.

Unfortunately, his mind was geared towards reflection today and his mind wandered to the state of his life. Specifically, the possible states of the Waynes' lives now that he was a part of their family. Well, since he lived with them at least. He hadn't gotten back to Bruce about the whole adoption thing and he wasn't sure he should. Would that be the right thing to do? Was it smart or selfish?

Nico eyed the three-story mansion apprehensively and wondered if he should stay. He was dangerous. What if he panicked again and lashed out? What if he attracted the Joker again-- or monsters for that matter? Could he really justify staying here despite the risks? He should never have taken Bruce up on his offer. He did it for selfish reasons-- because he was tired of his hardships. Shame washed over him. He should just return to the underworld. At least there, no one could get hurt by him or the monsters he attracted. Hades wasn't so bad. Sure, he had his moments, but who didn't? 

Nico considered it for a long time but couldn't come up with the conviction to actually leave. Whether he admitted it or not, he was beginning to get comfortable here. The manor may not look like somewhere he belonged, but it was starting to feel like he did. He didn't want to leave this all behind. Even with the recent breaches of his privacy, Nico didn't feel unwelcome here. He figured that it was a small incident in the grand scheme of things and it hadn't seemed to change how they treated him otherwise. They were just curious about him. 

Nico sighed aloud from his place in the tree, having realized that he really did not want to leave the manor. He knew he should, but the Wayne's were in little danger from the monsters, considering the protection field, and besides, they were the bat family-- they could take care of themselves. If they had been just any other mortal family, Nico didn't think he'd have been able to convince himself that it was ok the stay and risk their safety. Batman, on the other hand, could likely take care of himself if the stories the other boys had told him were anything to go by.