Chapter 6 The Kiss

"knock knock knock*

I opened my eyes and was immediately blinded by the sun shining in through my hotel window.

"How did I get back here? How long was I asleep? Where is the Jester?
....wait.  Who is Lilly?"

*knock knock knock*

I quickly jumped out of bed and looked through the peep hole. I saw Jin standing outside the door waiting for me to answer. 

"What are you doing here?" I asked in confusion as I opened the door to my hotel room. 

"I tried texting and calling you all day yesterday but you didn't answer.  I...I was starting to think I screwed things up the other day." Jin responded. 

"Oh. Yeah, um. Yesterday." I said while grabbing my head to comfort a headache I could feel coming on.  "I wasn't feeling well and my phone charger broke and so my phone died. Sorry." I lied. 

"Oh, well, good. I'm glad I didn't send you running for the woods."

"The woods?! Why would you mention the woods? I wouldn't go to the woods" I said defensively.

"It's just an expression?" He said a little taken back by my tone.  "....Ember? Are you ok?""

"Yeah, yeah. I'm fine.  Just recovering from yesterday still, I guess."

"Ok. I'll head out then and let you rest.   I'm just glad you're ok and we're ok." Jin said as he turned to walk away. 

"Jin!" I called out

"Yes?" He said as he turned back towards me. I could tell he was hoping I'd invite him in, but I just wasn't in the right state of mind for visitors

"Uh...bye!" I said with a little wave

"See ya." He said as he waved back.

I closed my door and went and sat on my bed.

"What happened yesterday? Was I really gone all day?" I thought to myself. 

I didn't understand it.  I didn't understand any of it.  "He didn't make me crazy, did he? No.  I'm sitting here thinking complete thoughts, stupid.  You're not crazy.  Dumb, maybe, but not crazy."

You'll know her when you see her. Replayed in my head over and over again.

"And what was that dream about? That was the Jester, but it wasn't how he is now. He was normal. Unique, sure, but still relatively normal."

So many things didn't make sense to me, but somehow I knew it would all be ok.  Despite everything anyone has ever said, I didn't think The Jester was as terrible as they all seemed to think. I saw the pain in his eyes as he mentioned that person.  He obviously had emotions, even if they were locked deep inside.

I continued sitting on my bed thinking about the Jester.  Replaying everything.  Trying to make sure i wasn't missing any key pieces of information.

My thoughts were interrupted by another knock on my door.  I looked at the clock "how in the world have I been sitting here for two hours?" I thought to myself as I stood up off of the bed.

To My surprise, when I opened the door I saw Jin again.  This time he was holding a white plastic bag that obviously contained some food and a beautiful bouquet of white daisies. 

"I wanted to make sure you were taken care of" Jin said with a sweet smile on his face as he handed me the bouquet."

I smiled.  "Please, come in." I said as I moved to the side of the door making room for him to walk inside.  "Jin, you really didn't have to do that."

"I don't know why you keep saying that.  I know I don't have to do anything, but I want to. Just say thank you and enjoy it."

"Thanks. I really appreciate it."

"My pleasure." He said. "Now, go lay down. I'll bring you your food." He said as he grabbed some  things out of the plastic bag.

"That smells amazing!"

"You know how you said that antiques were your thing? Well cooking is kind of mine."

Jin walked over with a bowl of homemade soup and handed it to me and sat down on the edge of the bed. 

"You know, I'm going to miss you when you go back home." Jin said sadly. 

"About that." I replied "I think I'm going to extend my stay. Hang around here for a while.  My job can basically be done from anywhere at this point, so I might as well make the best of it, right? Do what makes me happy?" I said with a smile. 

"You are?" He said with excitement.  "You decided stay for me, didn't you, because I'm so handsome." Jin said teasingly

"Yeah, that was totally the reason." I said sarcastically.

"I'm glad you're staying though, and I think Sydney will be too.  The hotel doesn't seem to have many occupants these days. Heck. The whole town will be happy.  They all really like you."

"They do?" I said surprised they had even realized I was around.

"Oh yeah.  When a new person comes around everyone knows about it."

He scooted a little closer to me on the bed.  I shifted, not knowing how to react.  Jin had been great to me, most definitely. I might even admit to having a little crush, but something kept me from completely letting go to fall for him. 

"Ember?"

"Yes?"

"I know this is a little straight forward, but I really like you and I've really enjoyed getting to know you lately."

"You're a pretty decent guy yourself" I responded blushing.

He stared at me, slowly moving closer.  I felt my heart begin to pound. I wanted him to kiss me, I really did, but....

His lips were suddenly on mine.  It was so sweet and tender.  So kind and caring.  I kissed him back.

Was this the reason I was drawn to this town? For Jin?

We pulled away from the kiss and sat there in silence.  Half happy about what had just happened and half a little awkward. 

"So...what did the blanket say as it fell off the bed?" Jin said breaking the silence

"I don't know, what?"

"Oh sheet." He said as he roared out a laugh.

"Oh my gosh.  You have the worst jokes in the world." I said as I laughed with him while nudging him. 

Our laughter kept going until the next thing I knew I was receiving another kiss, a much more passionate one. 
And for that moment I forgot about the Jester and everything that had happened. In that moment my mind felt at ease. 

END OF CHAPTER 6