Chapter 20 Pieces

I laid in bed and stared at the ceiling.  My thoughts were twirling around and I couldn't keep track of them. 

Lilly's memories had started to become my own.  It felt like two people were merging into one body and I could barely differentiate the two. 

"How is this is even possible?" I whispered under my breath.  It hurt my mind trying to make sense of it all. The only thing I was sure of was that I was no longer the Ember I was before, or at least, not completely.  A part of me awakened, a part that I didn't even realize was there.  It was like she sat in the shadows of my soul and waited for me to be ready.

My thoughts were interrupted by the sound of a freshly awoken voice. 

"Goodmorning, my sunshine." Jin said as he leaned over and kissed my cheek. 

"Oh.  Good morning." I said with a smile.

"Sleep well?"

"I guess you could say that.  You might want to do something about your snoring though." I teased.

"What? I don't snore! Why would you say that?.....wait, do I?"

All I could do was laugh. 

"You're awful." He said jokingly as he hit me with his pillow. 

The sun began to made its way above the horizon and its rays gently flooded into the room.
I moved over towards Jin and laid my head on his bare chest. I could hear his heart beating peacefully.  The rhythm in synchronization with my own.

"Jin?"

"Yes?" He asked as he softly rubbed his fingers up and down my arm.

"What do you think happens to us after we die?"

"That's kind of a heavy topic for this morning, don't you think?"

" I guess. Just with everything that has happened recently has got me thinking."

"Hm.  I don't know.  I'd like to think that when we close our eyes and leave this earth, our eyes open to another life.  I'd hate to think that this is the end."

His words almost pierced my soul.  Our eyes open to another life...

"What about you?" He asked. 

"I think I agree with you. Maybe we don't just have one life to live."

"I really hope not.  I don't think one life with you would ever be enough for me.  I don't want these moments to ever end. You're so perfect, Ember.  Every part of you."

I could feel my stomach turning into knots.  Knots of excitement, but also knots of sorrow.  After all this time I was finally beginning to understand why I couldn't fully give myself to him, despite all my conscious effort and it caused me pain.  A huge part of me loved him, it just, wasn't all of me. 

I opened my mouth to respond, but nothing came out.  I wanted to tell him how much he meant to me, but something inside of me kept me from doing so.  All I could seem to muster up in response to his sweet words was a smile. 

~~~~~

"I'm going to hop in the shower. Make yourself at home. Also, feel free to wear anything that you can get to fit. The clothes are in the dresser. I'm sure you'd like something clean to wear." Jin said as he slid out of bed and walked towards the bathroom. 

"You just want to see me in one of your t-shirts, don't you?"

"Hey, you won't hear me complain." He said accompanied with a wink as he shut the door behind him.