Betrayer

The snow was firm and slick under my feet as I walked to the palace doors. My sword shed a trail of red droplets behind me, still warm enough to melt a scarlet trail in my wake. The doormen ushered me in with respectful nods and quiet murmurs. The crystal walls of the hallway reflected my face back at me, thin and pale, weary from battle, my hair, so blonde it was nearly white, was in braided coils at my neck. Servants hurried to me, and my sword was whisked out of my hand and carried away to be polished. Someone draped a grey wolf pelt over my shoulders, and I found a metal goblet of warm spiced wine in my hand.

            I swept into the throne room with little fanfare. The members of court that lingered around our queen cast curious glances at one another as I entered. Several of the noble women regarded me with unconcealed hostility. Jealousy was never pretty on a woman, regardless of station or class.

            The queen looked up, and her features, as cold and white as marble lit up.

            “My daughter, you have returned to me.”

            I sat up with a shout of surprise, my legs tangled in the heavy comforter. Loki was there in a heartbeat, leaning over me, his hand warm on my arm.

            “Megan? Are you alright?”

            “I…it was a dream.” I looked up at him, embarrassed at my dramatic reaction. His features were shadowed in the room’s dim light. He sat down on the bed next to me.  Loki’s dark curls were messy, and decorated with melting snow flakes. The tips of his ears were bright red.

            “You look cold,” I smiled, banishing the ridiculous dream to the back of my mind.

            “It’s freezing out there,” he shook his head, sending wet droplets spraying all over the room. He reminded me of a puppy, an adorable, brown eyed puppy.

            I wiped a spot of water off my cheek, “Hey!”

            He grinned at me, “Oh sorry, am I making you cold?”

            “Not at all,” I grimaced at him, “but I can make you colder.”

            I reached out and touched my finger tip to the side of his neck. He just laughed and grabbed my hand.

            “That doesn’t work, remember? I’m too hot for you.”

            “Oh,” Now it was my turn to give him a mischievous grin, “You’re hot for me?”

            “Not what I meant!” Loki wrapped his fingers around my wrist, and my eyes grew wide as the heat of his palm suddenly increased.

            “You can make yourself even warmer?”

            “Yup, and you should be able to make yourself colder.”

            “How do I do that?”

            Loki stood up, “Don’t know. For me it’s as natural as breathing, I’m not sure how you work. You frost giants are a different breed.”

            I grimaced at his back, “That sounds flattering.”

            He stooped down to pick up a paper bag he’d left by the door.

            “I got you a sweater, some jeans and a pair of boots. I hope they fit.”

            Loki handed me the bag, and I rummaged through them. The sweater was white and fuzzy, it felt ridiculously soft in my hands.