Riding into Battle

The fur rug was endlessly soft. I could feel it rub my bare arms each time we shifted. Loki’s arms were tight around me, his chest pressed into my back. I could feel each beat of his heart, each rise and fall of his breath. I tried to push down the thoughts and fears that insisted on circling me like vultures. 

Only five hours, a voice kept repeating in my head, only five hours.

It didn’t matter. All that mattered was Loki, his warmth surrounding me. The gentle sound of his breathing and the crack and pop of the fire in front of us. The orange flames were mesmerizing, and my eyes began to droop. Behind me, Loki shifted, his arms tightening around me. It was amazing how we seemed to fit together perfectly lying this way, he was so close to me. Why couldn’t we just melt into one another and cease to exist altogether? Then there would be no battle, no fighting.

                His voice was low in my ear, “here, turn over and face me.” He tugged on the thin cotton t-shirt I wore and I rolled over. Now we were looking at one another, faces inches apart. Loki’s hand was gentle, stroking my cheek, my neck, my shoulder.  When his hand slid down my side onto my hip, I tensed a little. Was he going to try? I couldn’t help the jolt of panic that stabbed at me. This was only the second person I’d ever kissed! I didn’t know how…

                Loki pulled his hand away, a smile sliding across his face, “don’t worry,” he murmured, “I’m not going to be like that. It wouldn't be right, not right now.”

                He didn’t have to say it. Not before the battle. That’s what he meant.

                “How did you know?” My voice came out in a whisper.

 Loki reached out to stroke my hair, “because you jumped like I’d poked you with something sharp.”

                I dropped my eyes to the fur rug, embarrassed, but Loki slid a finger under my chin and tilted my head back, leaning forward to kiss me. His mouth was hot, there was a desperate, hungry quality about the kiss. His other arm slid under my shoulder and pressed me tightly to him. Finally he pulled back slightly, but he didn’t let me go.

                His eyes searched my face, “When this is all over, I want to make one thing clear. I know Erik is a good guy, and he has some…issues. I know you remind him of the girl he used to love. But after today, he has no claim on you. I don’t want to share you, Megan.”

                Tingles ran over both arms, my answer was slightly breathless, “Are you…”

                “I’m telling you I want you all to myself.”

                I couldn’t think of anything to say, so I ended up just babbling, “What about the king? Will he like his son being with a ‘frostie’? I wouldn’t think…”

                Loki grinned, placing his thumb over my bottom lip, tracing the shape of it, effectively shushing me, “he knows about my love affair with winter.”

                His love affair with winter. In that moment any thoughts of battle were gone. The only thing I could think about was how hot Loki’s fingers were on my skin, how his touch sent tingles trailing after it. His words rang in my ears. He wanted me all to himself. A worrying thought struck me, and I pulled back  to look at him seriously,

                “But what if….what if they make me Queen? I’ll be living in Nifleheim, and you…you live here.”

                Loki chuckled, “after my father is done being king, who do you think is next in line? Do you know…we could reconcile the kingdoms. Nothing would please my father more…”