Coronation Party

To the right of the throne sat a pedestal with a white cushion on top. On top of the cushion sat an elaborate silver crown set with dazzling blue gems. On the other side of me a second white cushion presented a long silver scepter with a large blue orb in the center. Immediately my brain kicked into panic mode. Which hand was I supposed to take the scepter with? They’d told me, why couldn’t I remember? Would it be gravely insulting if I took it with the wrong hand?

Oh my god, I’m going to mess this up so bad!

Trying not to squirm like a little kid on the huge throne, I fixed my eyes straight ahead, watching as the doors opened once again, and the master of ceremonies entered, grey robes sweeping the floor. He was a tall, grim man, which did nothing to ease my nerves. He made his way down the aisle, and to me it seemed like he was moving at glacial speed. Couldn't he just jog over here or something?

This is killing me! Hurry up!

At last he got to the front of the room and dipped his head at me. I nodded back, as I’d been instructed. The throne room became quiet as he opened the old book in his hands.  The crackling of ancient pages was loud in the fresh silence. He cleared his throat and said in a booming voice,

“Megan of Niflheim, are you willing to take the oath?”

It felt like something was stuck in my throat, so I cleared it before answering, “I am willing.”

“Will you solemnly promise and swear to govern the people of Niflheim according to our respective laws and customs?”

“I solemly promise to do so.” Thank god my voice sounded relatively steady.

“Will you to your power cause law and justice, in mercy, to be executed in all your judgments?”

“I will.”

He stepped back with a sweep of his hands, and I stood up on shaky knees, well aware that hundreds of eyes were fixed on me. The master of ceremonies moved to take the scepter, robes whispering over the icy floor.  He stepped forward and held it out to me, and I automatically took it in my right hand. There was no flicker of disapproval on his face, so I must have got it right. The scepter was cold underneath my fingers, and heavy. I held it straight up and down, elbow in at my side as they’d instructed me to do. I hoped nobody could tell how much my hands were shaking.

I turned and faced the crowd full on, butterflies dancing like mad in my stomach. I remembered them coaching me to speak loudly and clearly, and make eye contact with as many people as I could. I remembered Marian giving me thumbs up while I was practicing, and Loki telling me I looked beautiful. I swept my eyes over the crowd, trying to pick him out. His father was easy to spot. Surtr gave me a beaming grin, his cheeks were bright red and he had a wine glass in one hand. I didn’t catch sight of Loki though, I didn’t have time to keep looking. I took a deep breath and tried to say as loudly as I could without yelling.

“The things which I have promised before you, I shall keep in good faith. This I solemnly swear,” I sat back down again, relief turning my muscles into jello. I hadn’t flubbed the lines. Thank god.

The master of ceremonies brushed through the pages of the book, turned it around and placed it carefully on my lap, bowing slightly as he offered me a long feather pen. The book pinned my legs down, it was so heavy. Maybe they did that so the princess couldn’t run away if she was having second thoughts. The page in front of me was filled with script, scrolling letters too fancy to read . They’d already explained what it was though. Basically the same thing we’d just said out loud. I signed my name at the bottom carefully, afraid to rip through the delicate pages.