The Camp

Queen Eira’s face contorted into an expression of pure fury. When she finally collected herself enough to speak her voice shook, “You betray me too, Erik? You’re family has served mine for centuries. I would have never guessed you for a turncoat.”

“Well that makes you a fool,” Erik’s voice was bitter, “I turned on you the moment you had your own daughter executed. There was unrest before that. You ruled graciously at first, and as you grew more tyrannical there were more and more who wished to stop you. When you had Amora killed I started the uprising. You’re so blind to what goes on around you, it wasn’t hard. You’ve made a lot of enemies among your own people, your majesty. And you sealed your fate the moment you killed my Amora.”

Her voice was flat, “So that’s it? You doom yourself over a fling with my daughter? I tolerated that, Erik. You both knew you had no future. You’re a common guard and she’s a princess.”

“And you still talk about her as if she’s alive,” Erik snarled, “you’re crazy. But you know that, don’t you?”

The Queen straightened up and called out to Erik’s men, ignoring him, “If you all come with me now, I will grant you pardons. We will speak no more of this.”

There was only laughter from the rebels, and a few men shouted at her,

“Well thanks, your majesty!
                “Oh! A pardon, really? You mean I can go back to serving? How gracious!”

More laughter and cat calls. The Queen had begun to turn a light shade of red.

Erik grinned, “You see? My men want nothing to do with you! Anger does not become you, your majesty.”

Again she ignored him, turning to me with an imploring look, “Amora, my love. Avoid bloodshed and come with me.”

After all she had done, after openly admitting to killing her daughter. After threatening to kill my friends, how could she have the nerve to stand here and call me “my love”? All of my anger was rising to the surface as I stared at her. Finally it came flooding out, “Stop calling me that!”

The rebel’s cat calls died away. The Queen actually flinched back, and I realized that I’d pretty much just screamed in her face. Anger still fueled me though, making me bold.

“I am not your dead daughter! So stop projecting your guilt onto me! I am not Amora! My name is Megan. I’m seventeen years old, and I never knew my real mother. All I wanted to do is graduate soon, maybe go to prom, where I’ll sit on the wall, ‘cause I can’t dance. I didn’t expect this! I didn’t ask for this! I don’t want it! I don’t want to be your princess. I don’t want to lead anyone into war. I want nothing to do with you, because I think you’re evil!” The last word came out high and strained, and I was aware that I sounded slightly hysterical. So much for a powerful speech.

The Queen actually looked hurt, and before it could change to anger Erik stepped in, “We have even forces here,” he said loudly, “so be sensible Eira. You can waste your soldiers on us, and have considerably less for the ridiculous battle you plan to go ahead with, or you can leave unscathed. We just want to be left alone, and so does Megan.”

She narrowed her eyes at him, then looked straight ahead at the rebels, “Fine,” she spat, “Go then traitors. All of you are deemed traitors to the crown, every last one! If my soldiers see any of you around the palace, they will have orders to kill on sight. You are all dead to me. Amora too. I will lead the army myself." She looked down at me, " You’re right. You’re not my daughter. She would have never done this to me.”

I stood there open mouthed, chest tight with anger as she wheeled her horse around abruptly and called out to her men, “back to the palace!”

Everyone seemed to remain still until they were out of sight, and then I jumped when a great cheer went up behind me. Turning, I was surprised to see all the rebels coming for me at once, leaping off their horses and charging over. Instinctively I braced myself, but the first one to approach, a lean blonde man with a severe nose, merely shook my hand vigorously, eyes shining with excitement, “What a blow to the Queen!” he cried, “what a loss! Thank you!”