Scars

Prussia turned the final page of his book, reading the last few sentences. He smiled. Finishing a good book was always a bittersweet moment. He didn't enjoy reading as much as his brother, but it passed the time, especially while he was healing. He stood from his chair in his room, taking his boots off the table he'd been resting them on. He took the book with him, walking into the hallway. It was quiet. He looked back into his room, realizing it was well past midnight. He walked down the long, sad halls, past the Baltic's rooms. He glanced at Poland's door but didn't look in. He traced his hand along the beautiful white molding halfway up the hallway, dividing detailed paintwork from solid grey. There were mirrors on both sides of the walls. He paused, looking at himself in one of them. He looked more tired than he had when he'd arrived, and he was much thinner. His arms had almost fully healed, though a few residual bruises could be seen on them still.

He sighed, knowing that along with healing, came more time with Russia. He hadn't forgiven him. He would never forgive him. He hadn't slept well since they'd brought him upstairs. The unrest of his people made his stomach turn. He knew every time they killed someone trying to get over the wall, he could feel it. He'd felt pain from wars before, a deep ache in his chest when thousands of soldiers would die, but never like this. This was different. Everything was different.

He turned away from the mirror, continuing to walk towards the library. He wasn't sure if he was going to pick up another book, but he wanted to look. Everyone was asleep, another reason he wasn't. The whole house was still, still and cold. Sometimes at night, it was almost creepy, like the walls had secrets of their own. He tried not to think about that. He turned into another hallway. So many hallways. The house was far bigger than it needed to be for just a few people. It was more like a palace. They stayed in one small corner of it, the rest left untended and alone. Lithuania had told him that the revolution had caused most of the rest of the house to be looted and destroyed.

...

Gil turned the last corner to get to the Library. To his surprise, the door was already opened. He walked in and froze. Russia was at his desk in the library, his head resting against it, a glass of clear liquid still in his hand. Prussia doubted it was water. Papers, books, and folders were scattered across the desk.

Slowly, Prussia took another step forward. "Russland?" he whispered. Russia didn't stir. He walked closer, all the way up to the desk. He glanced down. Two empty bottles of vodka sat near Russia's feet, and the glass in his hand was less than full. Prussia looked over the papers without touching them. They were all about the war with America. If it was a war.

Prussia looked down at him, "Russland?" He said, louder this time, trying to wake him.

Nothing.

Prussia dared to put his hand on Russia's shoulder, shaking him. It didn't work. He could see that Russia was breathing. He paused, thinking. He set down his book on the desk and used both hands to try and shake Russia awake. He wasn't quite sure why he didn't just ignore the giant country and leave, but somehow he felt pity for him.

Maybe that's what Liet meant when he said he couldn't hate him. Prussia sighed, finally managing to get a groan from Russia.

"W-what...what's?" Russia's voice was a low growl, barely conscious.

"Come on." Prussia put Russia's arm over his shoulder. "You fell asleep at your desk..." He still wasn't sure why he was helping him, "I'll help you get back to your room."

Russia nodded.

Prussia doubted he knew what was going on, or who was helping him. He lifted Russia carefully, his arms aching. "Can you walk at all?" He asked, trying to keep Russia awake.

Russia didn't answer, but his legs gave way, sending both of them crashing to the ground.

"Really?" Prussia rolled his eyes, standing, looking down at Russia. He looked to the door, and ran to it, looking out into the hallway. He smiled as he saw Lithuania walking down it.

"Toris. It's Russia, come help?" Prussia nodded him inside.

Lithuania ran in, following Prussia. They walked to Russia, both looking down at him, trying to figure out what to do.

"How often does this happen?" Prussia asked, confused.

"Usually only on special anniversaries," Lithuania sighed.

"Oh... that explains-" Prussia stopped, "That explains it." He nodded, catching himself. He looked at Lithuania, who gave him a confused glance, but quickly looked back at Russia.

"You grab one arm, I'll get the other," Lithuania sighed, reaching for Russia's right arm.

Prussia shrugged in agreement. He lifted Russia's left arm over his shoulder again, nodding to Lithuania as they both raised Russia to his feet as the giant country mumbled something incoherently.

"At least his room is nearby." Lithuania rolled his eyes, trying to hold onto Russia, who kept trying to fall back onto the floor.

Slowly, the two of them carried Russia back into his room and to his bed. Russia was completely unconscious by the time they got there.

Lithuania took off Russia's boots, setting them aside.

"There, that's fine, he'll wake up in a few hours." Lithuania turned towards the door.

"Wait," Prussia stopped him. "What about his scarf?"

"No!" Lithuania snapped then stopped, looking first at Gil, then back at Russia. "Go ahead," he said finally.

Prussia looked at him, confused, and walked up to Russia, lifting his head to unwrap the scarf. He stopped, looking back at Lithuania before lifting the fabric from Russia's neck. "Why did you say 'no'?" Prussia looked into his face.

"You'll find out," Lithuania said.

Prussia couldn't read his tone. He turned back to Russia, looking down at him, and lifted the scarf from his neck. He froze, closing his eyes with a deep sigh. He opened his eyes again, looking down at Russia's neck. It was covered in deep, ragged scars. Some of them looked thousands of years old, some of them looked almost new.

"W-what...?" he whispered.

Lithuania walked past him, to a small shelf in the room, taking a few bandages from it and walking up to Russia again. He knelt beside the bed, taking one of the cloths and starting to wrap it around Russia's neck.

Prussia hadn't moved, still staring at Russia's neck. "W-what happened?"

Lithuania sighed deeply, continuing to bandage the scars. "He did."

"What?"

"I told you, Prussia, there are a lot of things you don't know."

Prussia sighed, the sadness in Lithuania's voice was painful.

"How long have you known?"

"Since I caught him... adding one," Lithuania sighed.

"What? When?"

"It doesn't matter," Lithuania tucked the edge of the bandage in, and stood, turning to Prussia. "Don't tell anyone what you've seen, especially Russia. He knows I know, but no one else does. Now you do. Don't tell him or he'll make both of us regret it."

Prussia nodded, "I won't." He was starting to collect more secrets than he wanted.

"Good. Good night, Gil." Lithuania walked out of the room without another word.

Prussia followed, closing Russia's door behind him. He paused at it, watching Lithuania turn into his own room. He sighed, looking up and down the long hall. So many secrets. He thought back to the ballroom and the invisible figures Belarus danced with, the sounds of a party filling the room. He shook his head, walking to his room.

This house has too many secrets, he sighed.