My Buddy

"It's your birthday, baby girl. Damn, 17 years old. Not a baby anymore. And I know niggas is going to step to me for a date. You know I'm going to shoot them, right?" Kissing Nena on the forehead.

"Hush, nigga you ain't going shoot shit. She is beautiful. I won't be surprised she already has some guys trying to ask her out on a date." My mom loves playing with my hair. She looked at me in the mirror with a big smile.

"These young boys only want pussy. So, I know they not going to step to me about that. So, they will come up with some bullshit like a date.""Pops !"

"What, you know I'm just being real. Just know the difference between lust and love. One will get you fucked up more than the other." Pops says, walking out of the room.

They threw me a birthday slash graduation party. I have been applying for colleges and getting ready for my second life stage.

"Well, I spent a lot on this party. We have enough food and drinks to make the neighborhood happy."

"Well, it's all worth it; our baby girl is going to college and getting out of here and becoming a lawyer or something," Mom said while holding tight to my arm.

I have been looking forward to this day. I just had a graduation 2 days ago, so most of my classmates will be here to party up for my bday. I picked a dress to wear today. It was short and all black. Had worn my mom's cheetah print high heels, and my mom straightened out my hair. She lightly put makeup on me and gave me a lovely chain for my birthday. It was a gold chain with a heart locket with a picture of me and her when I was 8. I loved it.

"Well, the DJ will be here in a minute to set up, and I think Dee is here now. Why don't you and Dee get together?" Pops had a severe look on his face.I thought he didn't like his mother. Now, he wants me to hook up with him. He's like a brother to me. Nothing more. I have someone else in mind.

"Pops, he's a brother." I walked out the back door of my parent's house and was in awe of how they decorated the backyard. It was purple and black with crystals everywhere. They put up a purple tent with black drapes. On the table in the center, under the tent, was a big Royal purple chair and gold chalice. There were tables under and outside the tent. Each table had purple and black striped tablecloths with crystals in a cup as a centerpiece.

They had a section to dance and another section that had a buffet of food on the other side. It was beautiful.############################

The party was in full swing. Family from Williamsburg and even Richmond came out. My grandma from New York and a couple of my Aunt showed up. It was a great party. All my friends, even my special friend, turned out at their very best. Raymond.

He was beautiful. I had a crush on him since I was 10. We played together since I can remember, but people get older, and things change. He came like the others, scared to approach me cause of pops. I had to deal with that.

I saw it when he walked in. He was wearing all white. White polo bottom-up shirt, white slim jeans, and all-white A1s. He topped it off with a white NY Yankee cap. He was tall, like 6'2, dark-skinned, with white teeth and a pretty smile. I was hooked. He came with a group of friends. It looks like the basketball team. We locked eyes and noticed a friendly, soft smile on his face. My stomach jumped. They walk towards me.....Stay cool!

"Happy Birthday, Nena. I forgot you were older than me." " he said with a smile on his face.

"Oh, thanks, Ray, you look good too." I was sweating. Is it hot out here? It has to be. He does that to me. " I'm glad you came. Food over there, and as you can see, the DJ is jumping."He walked towards the buffet with his friends following right behind. They all gave me happy birthdays and followed behind. I'm trying too hard. I have to assure him that my dad is cool. He will love him.

After being frozen by thought, I looked over and caught a look from pops. It wasn't pleasant. My mom's face had a big smile. She was happy to see me happy.

My dad gave me a look to let me know to come to him. He had that power over me. I walked towards him with a brave fake smile on my face. These heels are hard to walk on.

"I see; come in the house with me. I want to give you your gift." He turned and walked into the house. I followed.

He hands me a nice-sized triangle white box with a purple ribbon. I opened the box with a big smile on my face.

"My Pearl, this is a mark to your name. I have plans for you. All the trips to the woods have shown me what you can accomplish." Pops took the empty box from my hand so I could hold onto my machete.

"I have a favor for you, baby girl. I have been getting word about a young hood nigga trying to take over one of my blocks in Hampton. Can you give him a visit for me? You look nice in your outfit, too." He said while walking around the kitchen counter.

"Who pops?"

"Trey T. You know him, right.?" With a smile on his face.

Yeah, I know him. That's Raymond, big brother.

############################

Thanks for ready.......