4

Rajveer

I woke up early the next day with the aim to let mum know that I had  finally agreed to the decision she made for me. She would be happy and that was all I wanted.

I knocked twice on the door to the guest room where she slept yesterday.

"The door is not locked." came her reply.

I stepped into the room and went closer to her bed and sat on the edge of it.

"What are you doing here so early in the morning?" she asked me looking everywhere but my direction.

Here it comes.

"Good morning mom. I came to talk to you about the marriage—" I wasn't able to finish my sentence because i was interrupted by mum.

"I'm not in the mood to talk about that right now." she said dismissively.

"Just listen to what I have to say, please." I almost begged.

"I don't want to hear any of it," she said adamantly.

"Just listen, okay?" I tried to persuade her to listen to what I had to say.

"Don't get me angry now Raj," she warned.

"I promise I won't," I promised.

"What do you have to say about the marriage?" She asked, nonchalantly.

"I will get married to her," I said and she looked at me immediately in disbelief and a smile immediately marred her face.

"You aren't joking now, are you?" She asked.

"I'm serious." I simply answered.

"What made you change your mind? Just yesterday you were against getting married to her," She asked. I could tell she was still finding it hard to believe I changed my mind so easily. I couldn't believe myself as well.

"I just don't want to see you sad and having arguments with dad just because of me." I confessed.

She smiled. "You've made the right decision Raj, she will definitely be the perfect companion for you."

"I believe so," I gave a small smile. "you chose her."

"Thank you Raj, you've made me so happy today." she admitted and a tear rolled down her cheek.

"You don't have to thank me mum." I wiped the tear with my palm, shaking my head.

"I hope you understand why I made this decision, son. I want you to be happy. I love you and that is the main aim for requesting this of you." she cried.

"I know. You are my mum and you only want the best for me." I said and hugged her. Whatever she was doing was for my sake and I shouldn't be angry with her. There was no more escape route for me. Mum said they would be coming next week for the engagement ceremony.

I hope nest week never comes.

Third person