10

Roshni

I took a look at the time – it was 2:37pm. I was still bored and decided to call my friend Vid. I missed her so much as well and all I wanted was to just call her and tell her everything that was troubling me, but I knew better than to do that, I didn't want her to worry about me. I dialed her number two times but she didn't pick up. I guessed she was not close to her phone. I was very bored and there was nothing fun I could do. Nobody to talk to at all, but I was wrong when someone knocked at my door twice before coming in. Raj's mom

"Mom." I called and beckoned her in smiling. She came in and sat on the couch. I was nervous to speak to her because I wasn't used to her and I know for a fact that she's stern. I had not done anything wrong to her, so she had no reason to be strict with me, but come to think of it, I didn't do anything to Sam as well and she hated me already. I wouldn't be surprise if Raj's mum would also follow her children's lead. 

"How are you doing dear?" She smiled. She was smiling and that calmed my nerves a little, I was sure she wouldn't be rude to me. I just wanted my in-laws to like me and I will try my best to make that possible and about Sam, I will still try to befriend her, she was just angry at me because she thinks I ruined her brother's life. She will get over it sooner or later, I will just have to wait patiently.

"I'm doing alright, mum." I answered with a smile too. She was being friendly with me and I liked it, at least she didn't hate me like Raj and Sam did.

"I hope Raj treats you well," she said. No he doesn't – I wanted to tell that to her but the word couldn't leave my mouth for some reason. Maybe, it would be best, if I just lie to her instead. I thought to myself.

"He does." I lied. It wouldn't be good if I had told her the truth and I didn't want trouble.

"You don't look so good." she stated "is there a problem?" She asked. This was the second time I had been asked that question in a day. Was it that obvious I was sad? First it was my mum, now Raj's.

"No mom, everything...is...is perfectly alright." I stuttered. 

"You should be free with me dear, I am like your mum now and if ever you have a problem, you shouldn't hesitate to tell me about it, okay?" She's nice. I was glad at least one person didn't hate me in the house.

"I will mum, but there's nothing wrong." I said. She seemed convinced because, a smile formed her face immediately I said that.

"Alright. Where is Raj? I don't see him around." She asked looking around. Your son left the house since this morning, because he doesn't want to see my face – I answered mentally.

"He went to visit a friend." I said the first thing that came to my mind.

A frown marred her brows. "To see a friend? How could he leave his newly wedded wife alone at home to visit his friend! I will reprimand him when he gets back." she said with a look of disappointment on her face.

"You don't have to reprimand him mum. He asked me if he could go and I allowed him." I lied again. I just didn't want to cause anymore trouble for Raj. I had already done enough damages.

"Even so, he was not even supposed to even think of leaving you to visit his friend in the first place." she said adamantly. She was really not going to let this slide by the way she talked, I knew.

I decided to change the topic to one that would be beneficial to me. "Mum, is it okay for me to continue my studies?" I asked afraid of the reply she would give. I know, I didn't necessary have to ask her that because she didn't have the right to tell me to stop schooling. I only asked her because mum had specifically told me to ask Raj and mum too. She didn't reply immediately, she was contemplating on what to say – o guessed.

"Yes it is." she said. I was glad, I just have to ask Raj now, but I know he wouldn't be a problem for he didn't  care about me and I was sure his reply would be 'do anything you want, I don't care'. "But on two conditions." she added. What! Conditions? Did she think she could control me?

"What are the conditions?" I asked tersely. I didn't have to necessary do what she wanted, but nevertheless, I decided to hear her out.

"You will never come back home late in the night, because you are married now and you won't associate yourself too much with other men in your school. If you agree to follow these rules, then you are good to go." she said. I was tongue tied to even say anything. I just kept staring at her as she spoke. "Do you agree?" She asked when she noticed I was speechless.

"Alright." I managed to say. Does she do this to her children too? Of course, why do you think they are so scared of her? If you don't want to get on her bad side, you should better just agree to what she wants I advised myself.

"Good. You should ask your husband first and if he disagrees, then you won't continue. Lest I forget, when Raj comes back home, you should tell him to come see me in my room." she said.

"Alright." I nodded.

"I will be in my room if you need me." She smiled and got up to leave.

This is going to be tough – I puffed out air from my mouth.

_______________________________