Chapter 11:

I took a few heavy breaths, turning to Garmadon. 

"...Once a snake, always a snake." 

"Bree!" I heard Wu call as I ran off; I ignored him, taking flight on my power dragon and getting as far away from the cave as possible.

* * * 

I had no idea where I was going; all I knew was that I was going there. It wasn't the first time that no one had listened when I knew something was up and had fallen into different holes. 

I knew it wouldn't be the last time, either; I hadn't been riding for long, when I heard a familiar voice behind me.

"Bree!" 

I looked back.

Skylor. 

"I'm guessing Wu sent you?" you asked.

"I sent myself," she answered back. "Bree, we get that you're upset, but--" 

"--Yeah, I am upset," I interrupted, "I'm upset, because this isn't the first time that the guys have refused to listen to me, and ended up in a bad situation! I told them not to split up and that was the first thing they did! It's not just that, either! It's every time, and it all starts with Garmadon, or Lloyd, or Wu, or K--" 

I cut myself off at the realization that I was beginning to vent, and I looked below at the sky beneath me, unaware of the frown on Skylor's face. 

"...Bree," she began slowly, "have you been hiding something from someone?" 

I looked at her. 

"Specifically, Kai?"

 I hesitated; other than the sound of the wind rushing by us, blowing our hair back, things were silent.
I guess Skylor knew the look on my face, because she seemed to be able to read it. 

"When you gave him up back there," she continued, "back at the cave...were you just saying that?" 

I remained silent. 

"..." 

Then, I sighed. 

"I've known him since before all of this drama," I confessed, "He and I were students together under Wu, where we met Jay, Cole and Zane; the first time we both became ninjas, he was doing it to save Nya." 

"What were you doing it for?" 

After a silent moment, I shrugged. 

"I don't know," I admitted, "I guess to feel like I was...part of something..." 

I trailed off, shaking my head. 

"...He helped you." 

"..." 

"...That's why..." 

She trailed off, herself. 

"...Yeah," I agreed, "...When this tournament first began...when you and him met, I just...it felt like I was losing something; it was enough that the guys rarely ever listened to me, and now to have to lose someone that I was close to for so long..." 

I swallowed.

"All this boy stuff is so..." . 

"Complicated?" Skylor finished with a soft smile on her face, "I would know; I've been surrounded by boys my entire life." 

I smiled weakly; quick as the grin came, it faded. 

"I already made a promise to spend some time with Lar," I pointed out, "I don't want to betray him."