Chapter Four

Above: Froy Gutierrez as Collin

~~~~~~

Three days. That was how long I had to wait. For three day, all the masters argued over who got who. The wait was killing me.

Luckily, the wait was finally over. We all sat in the same seats as before and waited as one by one we were called up.

Sophie was chosen by the city gardener. She was practically glowing when she got her assignment. Kevin was chosen to be a city guard. He straightened and sneered at the rest of us.

When it was my turn, I slowly walked up the stairs. As I approached the city leader, I noticed the wierd look in his eyes.

"Lorelai has been chosen by..." he gulped, "the Dragon Riders."

There was no sound. I looked out and saw the faces of my peers were full of shock, disgust, and fear.

I turned back to the city leader. "No, there must be a mistake!" I insisted. I could not be a Dragon Rider.

The city leader shook his head and told me to go sit down.

I walked away, my legs numb. When I sat down, the girl on the other side of me leaned away, and Kevin sneered at me.

I didn't pay attention to the rest of the cereomnies.

Afterward, everyone left me alone. Alaina said a brief goodbye before leaving. She was apparantly training to be the librarian.

Finally, Daniel came upto me.

"Hey," he awkwardly rubbed the back of his neck, "I guess we're stuck with each other!"

"What?" I looked at him.

"I'm a Rider, too," he explained.

I felt a little better. At least I wouldn't be completely alone.

As we stood there in silence, the Rider that had wrapped my hand came up to us.

"Hello, new Riders!" She greeted us enthusiastically, "You can come with me! I'll show you the dragons and some new recruits!"

I didn't really want to meet anyone, but I did want to see the dragons. Slowly, I followed her.

As we approached the four dragons, I noticed about five other new Riders.

The lady, who had introduced herself as Lynnda, directed me to a blue dragon. She took Daniel to a red dragon.

Another female Rider came up to me. "Hallo!" She had a strange accent, "My nahm ist Alexandra!"

I gave her a small smile and looked at the dragon.

Alexandra noticed where I was looking. "Her nahm ist Regen," she said.

Upon hearing her name, Regen swung her big head around and looked at me. Her eyes, though stormy gray, shone with love and kindness. I reached up a hand and stroked her muzzle. A gentle growl sounded in the back of her throat.

Alexandra smiled. "That ist a dragon's way of purring," she explained, "Regen likes you,"

I smiled a more genuine smile and let Alexandra get back to preparing Regen.

There was one other person who would ride on Regen. He walked up to me.

"Hi, I'm Collin King," he smiled, extending a hand.

I stared at his hand, not accepting it. After a moment, he combed his hand through his brown hair. "Well, that was awkward,"

"Sorry," I said bluntly, "I'm not interested in making friends."

Collin's smile faltered. "Oh,"

Before either of us could say anything else, Alexandra called us over.

She showed us how to mount Regen, and unfortunately Collin ended up sitting in front of me.

Great! I groaned silently.

Finally, the man on the red dragon gave a signal and his dragon leaped into the air.

Alexandra looked back at me. "Your going to need to hold on!" She called out.

"Yeah right," I muttered crossing my arms.

I saw Alexandra shrug before nudging Regen.

As Regen took to the sky, I almost fell off. Quickly, I wrapped my hands around Collin's waist.

As Regen made a sharp turn, I squeezed his waist tighter. Collin turned towards me with a smug half smile.

I glared. "If you don't stop, I'm going to wipe that smile off your face,"

Collin let out a small chuckle, but turned around.

I let out a small sigh and tried to settle in for the long ride.

~~~~~~

It's back guys! Since this story is more popular than my other one, I've decided to continue this one. Don't forget to vote and follow me!