Chapter Five

Chapter Five

The weather was pleasant enough for an outing outside of London, and for that, Charlotte was grateful but she was looking rather miserable in her green frock. She didn't want to attend the picnic, nor did she want to see Wilmington or Lennox. But because Fanny threatened to feed her tarantulas, she didn't dare make a fuss. Her grandmother was known to be eccentric in her punishments and for what she said, she did. She remembered when William had refused to climb out a tree so she threw eggs at the boy.

The scenery was lovely outside, the greenery of the grass seemed to roll endlessly to the horizon. The smell of nature's stench drifted to her nose, through the mix of flowers and dirt alike. Charlotte didn't complain much about it, she'd rather be here than cooped up in some apartment where the streets were filthy and the people smelled rancid.

Following begrudgingly after her brother, she already caught glimpse of the people participating in their party. Though there faces she couldn't quite recognize and none that she particularly cared for either.

"Charlotte! It's so lovely for you to join us," Ellen gushed as she embraced her warmly.

"And it's wonderful to see you again," Charlotte said softly, clamping onto the girl's arm for support. "If you'll excuse us." She didn't wait for a response from her grandmama or her brother and walked off.

"What's wrong dearest? You look like you're going to hurl." Ellen murmured, staring at her with her long eyelashes.

"I have two choices for my future thanks to my good for nothing brother you see. It's either Wiltingrut or Lennox."

"Well you ought to choose the second."

"Ellen!"

Ellen laughed as she shook her head, "I'd do whatever you needed me to do but Charlotte, you can't run from it forever."

"Look who's talking," she raised a brow at her friend who was one of the biggest scandals in town. This was coming from the same girl who had spoke of her sinful hobbies.

"Charlotte."

"I want the freedom that you have, to do as you please - honestly."

"Charlot-"

"Is it so hard for me to become a spinster? Truly, I don't need much to be h-"

"Charlotte!" Ellen shouted.

Stunned at her outburst, Charlotte shut her mouth.

"Charlotte," she parted her lips with a sigh, "I'm going to settle down and marry after next month. All the rest of these balls were just a way for me to indulge before I have a wedding band on my fingers."

"WHAT?" Ellen wasn't ever one to settle, she had vowed it since her youth.

"It's complicated really and also my own fault," Ellen whispered nervously as her eyes darted about. "But it's because I'm with child."

"Child?" Charlotte gasped.

"Yes and I don't want to allow the poor thing to be barred as an illegitimate, or even a bastard. It's best I call an end to my ways and provide a life for the child."

"Who?"

Ellen nervously fidgeted her fingers, looking down as she avoided the prying eyes of her friend.

"Who?" Charlotte asked again more forcefully.

"It's ... it's Wilmingtons," she uttered.

Charlotte sharply inhaled, "no, you didn't. Not with slimy Wiltingshed." 

Ellen laughed at her friends reaction and shook her head, "not the balding egg headed one with the belly as nasty as sod. No, it's his brothers, Earnest."

"Which one's that?"

Ellen did her best to point in the direction and it was the same man Ellen had pointed out the previous night. He looked almost nothing like Howard, where he was tall, Howard was short. Where Howard was old, he was young.

"His mother's the second wife, explains the contrast in them. And well we were quite taken with each other." Ellen mused. "I told him about the child and then he proposed. He's not a horrid person, quite honorable even."

"Well I wish you happiness Ellen, I truly do," Charlotte mumbled.

"It's not like your life ends when you wed Charlotte," Ellen murmured as she stroked her friend's cheek in comfort. "Let your heart open, perhaps you'll find something more than a band stuck on your finger."

"Thank you Ellen, really."

While Charlotte had taken a walk with Lady Ellen, Jonathan was on the lawn watching the other gentleman attempt to fish. He himself wanted to speak with her privately but unchaperoned seemed preposterous. Though he had thought up a plan and had begged her friend Ellen for her help. At first the girl had stubbornly shook her head but when he spoke of his feelings, she had softened at his romantics. Plus she seemed to approve of him more than bumbling Howard Wilmington.

"I'm bound to catch a fish! It'll be a fetching gift for my love." Howard proudly stated as he focused on his line which hadn't tugged for more than ten minutes. "I'm sure by the end of this week, I'll be able to request Lady Charlotte's hand in marriage!"

Jonathan kept his lips tightly pressed, his mind flickering with all the possible things he could have done to the man just for suggesting it. He could've socked him in the face, shoved him into the water, tied the line of his pole around his fat belly and swung him around like the fish. But he didn't do any of it. Jonathan Lennox decided to behave.

As Charlotte made her way back to the picnic area, she grimaced at Howard who was ogling her again like an object to be bought. Her eyes were quick to meet Jonathan and they flashed with embarrassment at the reminder of their previous meeting.

"I've already requested for a walk with you Lady Charlotte, your brother's agreed and I do hope it won't be a bother for you, Lady Ellen to be our chaperone."

"Yes," Ellen said quickly with a smile. As for Charlotte, she looked like she sucked on a lemon, her expression looking less than pleased.

Under his breath, Jonathan murmured, "or you can stay here with Wilmington as he tries to fish for you and publicly proposes to you."

And without another word Charlotte graciously joined Jonathan's company. Be it unhappily, she decided better him than the oaf.

A/N: Another upload for yet another day. Feel free to share your thoughts! Comment, vote, etc, hope you're all having an awesome weekend. Until the next chapter!