Chapter Fourteen

Chapter Fourteen

Charlotte didn't have the confidence to show up for breakfast or even face Jonathan, not after her behavior the previous night. She had gone as low to nearly allow the man defile her. She went against all senses. But what hit her the most was the fact that she enjoyed it. Her body felt so empty without it. She was a shameful sinner who needed church immediately.

And she also intended on exploring the rest of the Richmond estates on her own, without Jonathan's overbearing guidance. Her cheeks flushed red just at the thought of him. Her mind had already began to conjure up images of his flesh against hers, the way his lips had tempted to swallow her being whole. She was a disgrace for even allowing herself to think it.

And so, donning a yellow colored dress with her hair tied up rather messily, Charlotte embarked her way outside to view the masterful shrubbery which the area had to offer. She felt a stare at her being and when she looked up, she caught glance of a figure. A shadow of a woman dressed in black as her eyes narrowed at her. Perhaps she was Jonathan's mother. He never spoke of her, not even on their trip. Then again, she knew little of anything about him. The most she knew was the fact that he attended Eton with William. What was he like? She cursed at herself for being stupid enough not to utilize her closest source of information. William had to know about Jonathan and his past, but he wasn't around to answer her questions in that moment.

She strolled around the area quietly, fully aware that the gaze looming from the window was still on her figure. Something about it felt quite unsettling but she did her best to ignore it. Her footsteps were quiet as she kept her head down, thankful that she had at least half the mind to remember to bring a bonnet with her outside today. The sun was warmer than she had expected it to be. She was fascinated by the way the garden was kept in top notch shape. Jonathan didn't seem to be the type who would've been too concerned in maintenance.

And to thinking of the devil only seemed to conjure him.

Charlotte had spotted him already approaching her, she was nervous to say the least and she had very little that she wanted to say. And so, without another moment to lose, the fair haired girl bolted in the opposite direction and ran as far as she could.

"Where are you going Charlotte?" His voice called out from behind her but she didn't answer, her feet only picking up as fast as she could. But even though she tried to outrun the man, she didn't have the stamina to do so. And before she knew it, he had already caught up to her, cornering her to a tree.

"Leave me be!" She couldn't look at him in the eye, she didn't want to speak to him either.

He observed her with amusement, dimples revealed on his cheeks and she couldn't break away her gaze as she flushed red.

"Have you forgiven me?" His voice was teasing as he held out his arms outstretched as if he was ready for her to leap into them, to agree with such a notion.

"No you bastard! I do not like you and I will not," she cursed in defiance. Anything to contradict the fact that she did indeed have feelings for him. Her heart was running at alarming speed as she nervously watched him.

"You didn't seem to think so last night," he commented with a smirk etched on his face.

"Shut up!"

"Come on Charlotte, don't be so stubborn. It's alright to like me," he said. laughing at her reaction. Jonathan found it quite hilarious to see Charlotte with her sour temperament. The more embarrassed she was, the redder her complexion turned. The pout of her lips almost looked deliciously inviting, the blues of his eyes flicking up and down her figure.

"It is NOT. You're horrid, horrible!" Her eyes only narrowed further as she threw as menacing of a glare as she could which made it all the more endearing. Rather than being imposing, she looked like a child who didn't get what she wanted.

"Now, now, it's not virtuous to lie Charlotte." He pulled her into his arms tightly as she fought him after first before stopping. She tilted her head up, the mossy haze of her eyes looked up to stare at his in wonder.

"You can't simply just like me if you know nothing about me."

"And who said I don't know anything about you?" He raised a brow, chuckling at her statement. He knew a great deal more about Charlotte than she knew him. Perhaps it wasn't respectable to snoop for information but he had done it regardless.

"What do you know then?"

"Easy things, the color you like, what you like to eat. Don't forget that I've been fortunate enough to observe you all the way from London to Richmond."

"You perverse beast!" She shoved him away as much as she could.

"Don't you want to know about me?"

Charlotte stopped and considered her options. She was already at a point of no return - she was bounded by Jonathan Lennox and in all this time, she truly didn't know much about him. Even though she had been allowed to explore the area, it didn't say too much about him. Except perhaps one thing, he grew up lonely.

She turned to look at him, squinting from the sunlight as the grass crunched beneath her feet.

"Very well, who are you Jonathan Lennox?"

And for the rest of the morning, they found good company in one another. Charlotte had been very much interested in the conversation he held - speaking of both novels as well as other cultural things. She enjoyed it with each passing minute and plus his attractiveness did seem to increase with the time they were spending together.

"Of all women, why me?" She probed, someone as eligible as Jonathan could easily have chosen another woman to wed - a complying one who would simply hang her mouth agape as she nodded her head up and down.

"Because I like you, I've always liked you."

"Always? We've met before?" Charlotte asked puzzled.

But before he could respond to it, the butler had called them in for luncheon. And no more was spoken. Charlotte was left to entertain an answer for herself.

A/N: Terribly sorry this update has taken me so long. School has really bit me in the butt and it's been overwhelming (still is).  I'm knees deep in Finals but soon Winter break shall come and in that time span, I'm hoping to finish the story! Again, sorry for the delay but please enjoy. Like, comment, vote, etc :)!